28

Will's POV
THAT MORNING

River, like always, is beautiful when she sleeps. I would glance over from time to time, and be completely captivated by her.

I wasn't staring at her in a creepy manner, like those romance movies where the guy is watching the woman sleeping beside him, for so long that eventually she wakes up and realises and smiles shyly. If that were me, and I woke to someone staring into my soul, I would not only be fearing for my life and crapping my pants, I would also be extremely embarrassed, because I do not look good when I sleep. I move around a lot, twitching and rolling, my mouth hangs open in a completely unattractive manner. The complete opposite to River who sleeps like an angel. I wonder what she dreams about—if I'm ever introduced in those dreams, or nightmares. I'd hope not the nightmares. I hope the only feeling she associates with me is complete and utter comfort.

After all, that's what I feel when I'm around her.

We're sat at her kitchen counter in the early hours of the morning. According to the clock on her wall, it's just turned six o'clock. Such a terrible time to be awake.

Staring at the time reminds me that I'll have to return home soon. I'm dreading it.

I sip my tea and glance across the counter at River. There's no emotion in her face as she stares down into her mug, completely still and silent.

She's not doing well at all. I can tell by the numbness in her expression and the look in her eyes.

I don't know what to do to make her feel better.

Guilt sinks into my stomach at the thought of me causing this. I poured her that first drink last night, I didn't stop her from drinking further. I'm aware that she's old enough to make her own decisions, but River isn't like other people. She has a sort of sadness deep inside her that can be triggered very easily. I had a feeling that her hangovers would consist of depressing thoughts and feelings, hence why I wasn't comfortable with her drinking a lot.

"We're going to do something today," I announce. River doesn't realise that I'm only doing this for her. Of course I want to spend as much time with her as possible, but the main reason is that she gets some air and walks around to help clear her head. I don't exactly want to leave her on her own when she's feeling like this.

"Hmm?"

She lifts her bloodshot eyes, clearly confused and dazed.

"I said, we're going to do something today. We planned to go to the quarry anyway, so maybe we can pick up some food on the way, maybe go to the arcade as well? I work there, so they'll give us a bunch of free shit."

Her hands are cupped around the mug for warmth. There's a slight shiver that goes through her, even though she's wearing my jumper again.

"Okay. Yeah, sure."

Not quite the chatter box that she was last night.

"We'll need to stop by my house beforehand. I need to brush my teeth and change out of these clothes."

River nods. "Okay."

My shoulders slump in defeat. I can't exactly blame River, she's just experiencing a really bad hangover, so it's only natural that she doesn't feel like speaking.