Bonus Chapter 1

River's POV
DOUBLE DATE

"I want one! Look at how cute they are," Lola gasps as she presses her finger against the glass of the claw machine.

Ryan looks at the pink oval teddy that has fabric teeth and wide eyes. It's far from cute, and I can tell by the looks on Will and Ryan's faces that they agree.

"Are you joking?" Ryan exclaims, gaining the attention of a few others who are enjoying their time at the fair. "That would give me nightmares. Are you okay?"

She rolls her eyes and scoffs before staring back at the teddy. She pulls out one of the tokens and slides it into the machine where it beams colourful lights and starts to blast loud music.

I look up at Will where we both share a humorous grin.

"Crap! I almost had it."

"You weren't even close," Ryan says. "Here let me try. It's the easiest game ever, I've won on these things loads."

Will bends down to my height and inches closer to my ear. "Do you want one of those?"

"No way. Have you not seen the teeth?"

His head tilts back with his laughter, showing off his jawline under the moonlight. "Just making sure. Wanted to prepare myself before having to sleep next to one of those things."

We hear Ryan huff loudly. "Bullshit."

"You were saying?" Lola teases, pulling a sly smirk on her cheeks.

"This one's different to the one they have at the arcade. I always win on those ones."

"That's strange. Usually I have to unlock the machine so you can get the toys," Will says, exposing Ryan.

Ryan flips him off before turning his attention back to the machine which seems to be his new enemy. "That's it. I'm having another go. We're not leaving until I get that teddy."

"Fine by me—as long as you win," Lola says.

I feel Will's arm slither over my shoulders and pull me closer against his warm body. It's finally autumn, but it still feels just as cold as the winter.

"Me and River are going to have ago on the rides. We'll see you in a bit."

Ryan waves his hand over his shoulder, too concentrated on the game that refuses to let him win.

"Bring me back some candy floss please," Lola begs.

"No. Get it yourself," Will grumbles.

I look over my shoulder as we walk away and mouth to Lola, "I will."

Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Will shake his head with disapproval, however he can't manage to wipe the grin from his face.

"You're too nice," he says as we walk towards the dodgems.

"Isn't that a good thing?"

"Only if you make sure people don't take advantage of you." He quickly looks down at me and smiles. "But, yes, it's a good thing. I'm extremely lucky."