39

River's POV
THAT EVENING

Mum sits on the edge of my bed, eager to know all the gossip about Will and I. She's been busy with work, so we haven't had much time to have a proper conversation recently.

"I noticed he stayed in your room last night. I came up to offer you a drink, but you had both fallen asleep." She smiles warmly, like she's so proud of me for finally gaining a friend. Will is more than a friend, but I'm not sure what to call us. It's complicated.

"I'm very happy for you both. He seems like such a sweetheart," she continues. "I'm so glad that all three of my children have managed to find good people. It was something I was always worried about."

I smile uncontrollably, picking at the fluffy fabric of my duvet and feeling my cheeks rise in temperature.

"Are you happy?" she asks.

I nod my head. "Yeah. I really am."

For the first time in a long time, I'm happy.

I've still got a long way to go. But, for now, I'm okay.

"Do you love him?" mum asks, raising her eyebrows with a grin.

I smile in response.

Yes. With every fibre of my being.

I never believed I could love another person, I always felt it was too difficult and tricky. But loving Will is so effortlessly easy. At first, I tried to hide from it and tried to make those feelings stop because it scared me, but there is no hiding from love. It's impossible.

"I'm going for a sleepover tomorrow," I tell her.

"Is that with Will?"

"No, Isla and Lola. They're twins in my year."

My mum's eyes widen and her face lifts suddenly. "Girls?"

I nod.

"That sounds so fun," she gaps, clasping her hands together. "Did you want to take any food with you? Perhaps we could bake some cakes?"

"It's okay, mum. Really," I decline her offer, chuckling at her excitement which I assume is because she always made my 'friends' up in her head. Now they're real, she doesn't have to pretend anymore.

"You've never told me about them. Are they new friends?"

"Mmhm. Will introduced me to them."

She smiles further. "He really is a sweetheart."

We play a movie to pass time over the next hour, trying to make the most of our time together because she'll be back to normal hours next week. The movie is more her taste and doesn't interest me much, so I pull out my book from under my pillow and begin to read.

Mum turns her head and smirks at me.

"What?" I question, sudden insecurity rushing through me and causing my shoulders to tense.

"You're just always reading."

I turn the page and smile. "I read to escape and pretend I'm in a different reality."