Chapter 30

Oscar Pine was insane.

He had to be.

He was just a fourteen-year-old kid... he didn't ask to be insane... but he was! The other option was far less appealing...

"Hello, I am Professor Ozpin-"

"Shut up, I heard you the first time!" Oscar yelled at the voice in his head, cutting him off, "You've been repeating that line for the past few hours!!"

"Oscar? Is something wrong?" his aunt shouted up from the first floor.

"Uh, no, I'm fine!" Oscar yelled back. Thankfully, the voice at least had the decency to wait for him to finish talking, and so it didn't interrupt.

"Okay, just making sure! Supper will be ready soon!" his aunt called back up.

"What are we having?" Oscar raised his voice to drown out the voice in his head, and the nagging feeling that it was somehow real.

"Doesn't matter, you're eating it!"

"I never agreed to these terms!" Oscar yelled back jokingly, a small smile on his face as he closed the book in his hands.

"It's part of the 'living under my roof' contract!" his aunt jokingly shouted back.

"Oscar," the voice urged again.

"What. Do you want!?" Oscar finally snapped, glaring at his own reflection in the mirror.

To his absolute horror, it didn't reflect him. Or, it did. It was him, but it wasn't him. The person in the mirror was... different, from himself. The expressions weren't the same, but the face and body were.

He stumbled backwards, hazel eyes wide in shock and panic. He had to be hallucinating... he- he had to go get checked out by a doctor, right? Right?

"It's not real, it's not real... it's not real..."

He had to be going insane... right?

"I can assure you, you are perfectly sane."

Was it reading his thoughts, now? Oscar gripped his hair in panic, as he flopped onto the bed.

"I'm talking to a voice in my head..."

"I didn't say you were normal, I said you were sane," Oscar began walking to the door of his bedroom, trying to ignore the voice, "There's quite a significant difference between-"

"Shut UP!" he clenched his fists, "You think this is funny!? It's not."

"We are in complete agreement on that matter, I promise you. Believe me, I wish this weren't the case. But as I've told you, our auras, our souls, are combined."

"I'm done listening to you," Oscar finally decided.

"Have you ever been to Haven?" the voice asked.

"I told you I'm not going, and I told you I'm done listening," Oscar firmly stated, hoping that the voice in his head would somehow go away.

The voice ignored his words, though.

"Do you think you could describe the headmaster's office?"

"No, why would I know that? I've never seen-"

The voice cut him off, "Try. Right now."

Oscar sighed, but obliged, if only to get the voice off his back.

"It's probably-" a vivid picture popped into his mind, as his eyes widened, "It's... It's autumn-colored... with a large mahogany desk... there's a small table, and chairs in the corner for guests, with a tea set that I... I gave him... why did I say that??" Oscar gripped his head in a panic, eyes wide, "Why do I know that, why did I say that??"