"I'm coming out there to prove that I'm the best in the business."

"What the fuck is going on?"

"Brooke collapsed," Lucy says, her voice shaking. I went to the curtain and peeked through, all of the EMT's were surrounding Brooke and the entire ring, doing chest compression's on her. I felt my heart racing and tears streaming down my face. Peyton walked back while taking her gloves off and she was shaking, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry," she said.

"Sorry for what?"

"We were fighting as usual, you know, and then I hit her in the chest, she took it, then 20 seconds later she just collapsed. If anything happens, it's my fault."

I pulled her into a big hug and rubbed her back gently, "It ain't your fault, you didn't know, Brooke wouldn't want you blaming yourself."

She held onto me tight before letting go and walked back into the locker room. One of the commentators came to the back and his face was ash white, like he's seen death. "I think she's gone."

"Who?" Taylor says, her voice trembling.

"Brooke," He says, and I shake my head, as he walks back out to the commentary table.

"Bailey, you and Savannah are up now." An official says, their voice full of sadness.

I sigh and grab my gloves and I get told to cut a promo before heading out. As I get ready for it, I see Brooke be wheeled by on a stretcher, her face was blue and an EMT worker was on top of her still giving compression's as she's put in the ambulance.

My heart sinks and I just stand there, in shock. I take a deep breath, "Bailey I know your mind is probably on other things right now, but the question of course is, you know, how are things going to go in this match?"

"First of all, Brooke Edwards. I'm praying for you buddy. Savannah Peters, you know what? This match is gonna be one to remember. I'm coming out to make a statement. I'm coming out there to prove that I'm the best in the business. And I'm coming out there to show the world that I won't be denied. I'm coming out there to make sure that I'm the last one standing. Brooke, we love you."

The crowd cheers and I walk out, my heart still heavy, but I know I have to fight for Brooke. So I climb into the ring and the ref calls for the bell. I look at Savannah and she gives me a nod, like she knows. The fight begins and I swing for the fences. We go back and forth, and it's a close match. I'm able to get a few good shots in, but Savannah is tough, and she's not giving up.

The fight goes on for a few rounds, and I'm finally able to wear her down, I throw a combination and she crumbles to the ground, and the ref calls for the bell. I won! I raise my arms in victory, but I don't feel the same thrill I usually feel when I win. I just feel sadness, and I'm worried about Brooke.

I leave the ring and go to the back, where I'm told Brooke is at the hospital. No one is allowed to visit yet, but I pray for her and hope that she's okay. Around 2 fights later, the news quickly spreads backstage that Brooke has passed away. Everyone is devastated, and I just sit there in shock. I can't believe she's gone, it doesn't feel real.

****************

A few hours later, on our flight to St. Louis, I sat next to the seat on the plane that she was supposed to be in, and it's empty. I look over at the empty seat and a tear runs down my face. It doesn't seem real at all. My phone buzzes and Kelley's texting me, Hailey is too. They both know what happened and they both just want to make sure I'm okay. I reply to them and tell them that I'm okay, but inside I'm not. I'm broken.

Back in the hotel room, I just sit on the edge of the bed, feeling lost and empty. Brooke was my friend and I just can't believe she's gone, well she was a friend of everybody. I can't help but think of all of the good times we had, and all the times she made me laugh. I just sit there, lost in my own thoughts, until I eventually drift off to sleep.

The next day, we all do the usual things, have breakfast, go to the gym, etc., but all of it just feels so empty without Brooke there. We all head to the arena and tonight's show has been made a tribute to Brooke. The entire crowd is wearing Brooke Edwards shirts, and the show is dedicated to her memory.

I head to the back, Vince has told us if we don't want to fight tonight, we don't have to. The show starts and we all gather on the stage, all referees, officials, the roster, and Vince, wearing armbands with 'BE' on them as the ring announcer stands in the center of the ring. "Ladies and gentleman, may you please rise, and join the WBA fighters as we toll the bell 10 times and pay our respects to Brooke Edwards."

The bell tolls, and I just stand there, tears streaming down my face as it hits me and sinks in. She's really gone. After the 10th bell, the announcer speaks up, "And now ladies and gentlemen, may I direct your attention to the big screen, as we play a video tribute to Brooke Edwards."

The video starts, and it shows all of the highlight moments of Brooke's career and all of the moments she shared with the roster along with photos of her family, her children and husband. The video is also narrated by Vince.

"Last night, a tragic accident took the life of Brooke Edwards. She was 34. There are no words that can express the profound sorrow felt today by so many of us who knew and loved this very special human being. Fans all over the world shared a small portion of Brooke's life through her love of boxing, but to know the human being was pure joy. Brooke loved this business and loved to entertain those in it and outside of the ring, she was a consummate fighter and a legendary prankster. In the extended family of professional athletes, respect does not come easy and is not taken lightly. Brooke Edwards had that respect. She was more than just one of the girls, Brooke Edwards was a friend and sister to all. Our locker room and our lives will never ever be the same again. A loving daughter, sister, aunt, wife and mother. Brooke is survived by her husband Jeff, her son James, and daughter Jenna. Our prayers go out to them and the entire Edwards family. With heavy hearts and the deepest of sympathies for her family, we say goodbye. If the legacy of a woman's life is measured by the lifes she's touched and how much she is loved, then a big piece of Brooke Edwards will live on in all of us."

The video ends with a still image of her giving the thumbs up to the crowd, with the words, "In Memory of Brooke Edwards 1986-2020" underneath. Everyone in the arena is clapping, and the entire locker room is in tears.

I felt a hand on my back as I wiped my eyes as we all slowly walked backstage. We were told that we could go speak to a camera, sharing our sentiments about Brooke that would be shared to the audience. I sat down at the camera and took a deep breath, thinking of what to say. I looked at the camera and I just said, "You know, Brooke took a lot of crap from us about how cheap she was when we'd travel on the road, she'd spend less in a month then what some of us would spend in a day. But the reason she did it was so she could retire early and spend time with her family and her two children. I hate that her kids don't get to grow up with such a great parent that she was. Nothing can replace the loss of a mother, especially when it's good as one as Brooke and I hope that they realize when they get older what a great mother they had. Brooke, you were an incredible person and we are all going to miss you. Goodbye, my friend."

I looked away from the camera and my tears started flowing again. I just sat there for a few minutes, just trying to process everything. I'm still in shock, still trying to make sense of it all. Brooke is gone and it's heartbreaking. I slowly get up and walk back to the locker room, feeling numb.

The rest of the show goes on, I don't fight at all tonight, I just sit in the back and watch it all. I can't stop thinking of Brooke and how she'll never be here again. My heart is heavy and I can't shake the feeling of sadness.

After the show, we all get on the bus and head back to the hotel. I however, pack my bags and leave early for the airport, I just can't stay here anymore. I just want to go home, back to D.C. The taxi stops outside of the airport and I walk inside, tears streaming down my face. I'm so broken, it's like a piece of me is missing. I managed to get an early flight to D.C. and I just sit in my seat, my mind going in a million different directions.

I stare out the window as we take off and I close my eyes, thinking of Brooke and her family. I can't help but think of all the good times we shared, and how much I'm going to miss her.