Epilogue Pt. 2

April 15th, 2023

I stood backstage, my paper in hand that I had written some stuff down on for my speech, feeling nervous as they had played the same video they did on TV weeks ago.

We're here up in New York, but the kids are staying back at home in D.C and Hailey is babysitting them. I wasn't dressed fancy for tonight unlike the rest of everyone who dressed formally. I was wearing a pair of my dark red Doc Martens, a pair of black skinny jeans, and a floral t-shirt with a leather jacket on top. My hair was tied up in a ponytail, and I had a bit of makeup on too.

Eventually I heard my music hit and I took a deep breath, before walking out onto the stage. Katie gave me a huge hug, and I thanked her before standing in front of the mic, taking in everything. Everyone was clapping, the fans chanting my name. I spotted Kelley and my parents at the table they got and I smiled.

"Wow." I said, the emotion starting to build up in me already. "April 15th, 2008-I ain't never gonna make it through this damn speech." My voice was shaking slightly as the emotion was getting to me even more.

I took a deep breath and cleared my throat ready to try again. "April 15th, 2008, who would've thought. Houston, Texas, my very first fight at 18 years old, and 15 years to the day, I'm standing on the stage being inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame."

I went on to talk about my humble beginnings, how I played multiple sports at high school and all of that crap, mainly just bits of my life before I was a boxer. I also talked about how I was blessed and cursed during my career, going on about my highlights, my best matches, being knocked out multiple times, in-ring injuries and what not.

"You know, throughout, not just my career, but my life.....There's been two girls that have really, really affected me. The first, is in the crowd sitting with my parents, my wife, Kelley O'Hara. Kelley's been the one who's helped me through my low points during the latter years of my career, the points where I'd be the lowest I can be. Kelley, I love you, I love you more than words can say." I looked at Kelley who blew me a kiss, while the biggest smile was plastered on her face.

Then I thought of the second person, and I was holding back tears. "And then there's a woman....who's no longer with us. Brooke Edwards." Everyone here in the building started clapping and cheering as I stood there, thinking about her. I still haven't gotten over her death to this day.

"You know, I've often been asked, every time that they ask me about Brooke, 'Tell me a funny prank Brooke did. Tell me a funny Brooke story.' Hell, everybody's got a funny story. From the chairman all the way down, Brooke, she took no prisoners when it came to pranks. But I took every opportunity I could, when I was asked about Brooke, to talk about the human being and I'm gonna use this opportunity right now."

"Brooke was a great mother, a great daughter, a great wife, a great aunt. She had the biggest heart and you hear all these funny stories about Brooke, but Brooke was a kind, gentle soul. And we lost her way too early. But tonight, since it's the Hall of Fame. I am gonna tell a Brooke story."

Claps filled the building as everyone had big smiles on their faces and this one is just too funny to pass up.

"San Jose, I think it was the most single, spontaneous prank that to this day, I had to tell it, it'd make me laugh. But Brooke walks into San Jose, and that was one of my first shows with the WBA, it wasn't a big one, but there was an in-house guy running sound that he'd hit play when the girls went out, music entrance, and hit the music when there was a winner. That was his job and he had his run sheet of all the matches, and Brooke got to know him well. So there's this monitor on the wall with a headset that you can talk. Jack Davis, one of the road agents, wanted to kill Brooke this night." I say, trying to hold it all in.

"So, it's the third or fourth match of the night, it's Kim Jones' match. And music and entrance, Kim goes, her opponent goes. Halfway through the match, they had the roof blown off the building, the crowd was into it. And then Brooke gets on the headsets, 'Damn it, play Kim Jones' music right now. Play her music right now.' Dead match." Everyone started laughing and I was shaking my head slightly, a smile on my face as I remembered it.

I then move on, thanking my friends, my family, Kelley and eventually, my granddad, who got me into boxing in the first place. I looked down at my paper and looked at the poem I had written down on it to close my speech.

"To any other aspiring men and women out there who wants to make a career out of this sport. It's not easy. And so I'll leave and close with a poem. It's the last stanza of the poem, 'Don't quit'. It's, 'Success is failure turned inside out. The silver tint and the clouds of doubt. And you never can tell how close you are. It might be near when it seems afar. So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit. It's when things seem worst, you must not quit'. Thank you, and goodnight."

The place once again erupts with clapping and cheering as my music begins and I step back and wave out, taking it all in. I then walk backstage and I'm pulled into a big hug by Katie, and all the other inductees tonight.

Later on, Kelley and I were laying in bed in her apartment. We were snuggled up underneath the sheets, her head on my chest as I gently ran my fingers through her soft hair.

"You did an awesome speech tonight, beautiful to be honest." Kelley said, looking up at me.

"Thank you." I say with a smile.

"You know how you mentioned how you've been blessed and cursed during your career?"

I nodded, not sure where she was going with this.

"Well, I've been like that too with my soccer career. And do you know what the most blessed moment is for me?"

"What?"

"Meeting you, getting married to you, and becoming parents. You're the one I thought I'd never have, or still be looking for."

I smiled and leaned down to kiss her on the lips, while I tried not to tear up a bit at what she said. We then laid down, arms wrapped around one another as the room was in darkness. "I love you, Kelley." I whispered as she slowly drifted off into a peaceful sleep.

As I stared at her, tonight was one of the most important things that stand out in my life, and that I will always cherish. This, meeting Kelley and eventually calling her my wife, and being a mother to two beautiful children.

Who the hell thought I'd get this far? I sure didn't, but here I am, in the arms of my beautiful wife.

I sure am blessed.

***********************

Welp, there it is! 

Again, thank you for all the views and votes on this. I'm quite surprised I managed to finished this to be honest, but here we are, at the end. This was a fun story to write, and I'm damn proud of it.

Once again, Thank you :)