A.W.O.L. Absent With Out Leave

Many a man has faced intense pressure and for some apparent reason some tend to run in the opposite direction from their responsibilities. We find however in the military that running from your assignment without permission can and will place you in serious trouble. Some individuals have had to live in solitary conditions for long periods, while
others had to return and face the penalty for abandoning their duties. So, we find that when believers abandon their responsibilities they often pay a great price as well. Usually Christians fall into sin and find themselves in a state of disobedience, in a condition of sin or spiritual A.W.O.L.

In the natural, the military police would be on the lookout for a person who had left their position and is ordered to bring them back to a place of judgment. However we find that as believers we are admonished that when we find one who has been overtaken with a fault, problem or condition to restore such a one in love to the body. We are not to sit in judgment and to pronounce sentence upon that individual.
John 5:16
"If any man sees his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall
give life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he
shall pray for it'?"
We have different types of sin that we must deal with. Some people say, "sin is sin"; but we find there is a sin of omission as well as commission.
When we are dealing with omission / commission: you are usually dealing with wrong doings and things such as faults, mistakes, failures or ignorance.
We find even Jesus saying, "Father forgive them for they know not what they do. He also said "lay not this charge upon them." But then we find there is a sin that is unto death.
The word of God says we are not to pray for it.

Hebrews 6:4-6
4.) "for it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5.) And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6.) If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame."

Jesus said before one could be guilty of the sin unto death, all five things mentioned
in that scripture would have to apply to him.
First "For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened."

This is what we often call getting under conviction. The preaching of the word enlightens the sinner, as in the case of the prodigal son when he came to himself. Through the preaching of God's word, the sinner sees himself lost.
Second "and have tasted of the heavenly gift".
Jesus said a man under conviction has not tasted of the heavenly gift. You do not taste of the heavenly gift being under conviction, because Jesus said he is the heavenly gift.
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
Third "and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,"
Jesus said that means more than becoming acquainted with
the Holy Spirit and being born again; it means being filled with the Holy Spirit.
Fourth "and have tasted the good word of God"
He said this cannot apply to baby Christians. They have not tasted the good word of God. 1 Peter 2:2 tells us:
"As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word that ye may grow thereby." Jesus said it was to be regretted that some believers act as they do. He pointed out the similarity between spiritual and physical growth. He said baby Christians cannot be guilty of this sin. They would not know what they were doing.
Fifth the final qualification is:
"and have tasted the powers of the world to come."
Jesus interpreted this part as meaning, "and has the gifts of the spirit operating in their lives". He said the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the ensuing gifts is the earnest of our inheritance in the world to come.

We find then what this scripture is saying is a willful turning back. It is dealing with
an individual who has had all (5) of these encounters with the Holy Spirit of God.
They have spent time in the word of God and began to develop and grow in the word.
This is dangerous territory when one has not been tempted and overcome by Satan.
(God forgives yielding to temptation)
But when one has deliberately said, "I don't want him anymore". They are guilty of the sin unto death.
(Hebrews 10 explains it further.)
Hebrews 10: 26-29
26.) For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more
sacrifice for sins,
27.) But certain fearful looking for of judgment and
fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
28.) He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two Or three witnesses.
29.) Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden underfoot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of Grace?
This was actually written to Hebrew Christians. When they accepted Christ as
Saviour they were cut off from the rest of their families. The way was hard and they
were tempted to go back. If they went back to Judaism, they had to deny Christ.
If he is not the son of God, then his blood is unholy.
People have died at the stake because they would not recant. Now if they recanted because pressure was put on them, God would not hold it against them. He would forgive them. But if they recanted willingly, that would make a difference. When you
make up your mind to turn your back on God that is trodding him underfoot. (You
walk on him so to speak)
Many people think they have committed the unpardonable sin. But if they have never
turned their back on Jesus, then they have not committed this sin.
It does not matter how far away you have strayed or what you have done or what you
have said in a moment of silliness or anger, God does not hold that against you.
He is a forgiving God. Even if you think you cursed God, remember the conditions that apply.
Do not turn and run the opposite direction, with every trouble and every trial, God makes a way of escape.

Stay on your post, keep your watch