Armed And Marching In His Name

John 1:1
In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, And the word was God.
The truth of God's character is focused in his name. The divine name reveals God's power, authority, and holiness. This accounts for Israel's great reverence for God's name. The Ten Commandments prohibited the violation of God's name (Exodus 20:7; Deut. 5:11). Prophets spoke with great authority when they uttered God's name. Oaths taken in God's name were considered binding, and battles fought in the name of God were victorious. Other nations would fear Israel, not because it was a mighty nation, but because it rallied under the Lord's name.

In the New Testament, God's name is manifested most clearly in Jesus Christ he is called "the word" (John 1:1), and Jesus himself makes the claim that he has revealed the name of God (John 17:6). God's name is his promise to dwell with his people.

Names of God
The name of God holds an important key to understanding the doctrine of God and the
doctrine of revelation. The name of God is a personal disclosure and reveals his relationship with his people. His name is known only because he chooses to make it known. To the Hebrew mind, God was hidden and revealed, transcendent and immanent.
Even though he was mysterious, lofty, and unapproachable, he bridged the gap with
humankind by revealing his name.

God of the fathers
Before Moses' encounter with God in the Midianite desert, God was known
generally as the God of the Fathers. Various names were used for God under this conception, most of which were associated with the Semitic word el.

El refers to an awesome power that instills within humankind a mysterious dread or
reverence.
El is a generic term for God or deity. It appears in ancient languages other than Hebrew.
One can see the similarities to the modern Arabic word for God, Al, or Allah. The word
Even though el was a term for God in pagan or polytheistic religions, it is not a designation for an impersonal force like one would find in animism. Pagans worshipped el as a high and lofty God.
He was the chief God among the Canaanites.
The word el in the bible is often a reference to deity as opposed to the particular historical
revelation associated with the name "Yahweh" more often than not; however, it is used
interchangeably as a synonym for Yahweh, the God of Israel, and translated as God.
One of the most interesting uses of el is its alliance with other terms to reveal the character of God. Some of these combinations are:
El-Shaddai "God of the mountains" or "the Almighty God." This term is more closely
associated with the patriarchal period and can be found most frequently in the books of Genesis and Job. Exodus 6:3 shows el-Shaddai as the name revealed to the patriarchs. God used it to make his covenant with Abraham (Genesis 17:1-2).

El-elyon "The most high God" or "the exalted one" (Numbers 24:16; II Samuel 22:14;
Psalms 18:13). Melchizadek was a priest of el-elyon and blessed Abraham in this name
(Genesis 14:19-20), referring to el-elyon as "maker of heaven and earth". Canaanites at Ugarit also worshiped God as el-elyon. El-elyon seems to have had close ties to Jerusalem.

El-olam "God of eternity" or "God the everlasting one" (Genesis 21:33; Isaiah 26:4;
Psalms 90:2). God's sovereignty extends through the passing of time and beyond our ability to see or understand.

El-berith "God of the covenant" (Judges 9:46) transforms the Canaanite Baal Berith
(Judges 8:33) to show God alone makes and keeps covenant.

El-roi "God who sees me" or "God of vision" (Genesis 16:13). God sees the needs of his
people and responds.

Elohim a plural form for deity. It is a frequently used term and the most comprehensive of the el combinations. The plurality of this word is not a hint of polytheism. It is a plural of majesty. It is a revelation of the infinite nature of God. In the creation story, we read: "then Elohim said, "let us make man in our image." (Genesis 1:26) this name suggests that there is a mystery to the creator-God, which human kind cannot fully fathom. God is absolute, infinite Lord over creation and history.