CHAPTER TWELVE

" where's Jesse? Where is he? " Kate asked the receptionist immediately she entered the hospital she was directed to.

" Mam. Please I am not the doctor. " The receptionist said slightly irritated. " Please... " The rest of her words where left hanging as she saw Kate walking away. Sighing angrily, the receptionist continued with what she was doing.

She met with the doctor and was led to Jesse's ward. " Madam I have told you that there is nothing to worry about. " " Then why isn't he waking up? " Kate asked with tears threatening to fall from her eyes." Hopefully, tomorrow evening... "

" Tomorrow evening? " Kate shouted at the doctor. " You're not even sure. Who hired you? I need to have a talk with that person. " " Madam you are overreacting. " " Am overreacting? A person's life is on the line and all you can do is say that I am overreacting? "

" Mam his life is not on the line. "

" Then why his he in a coma? "

" He is not in a coma. "

" How? His eyes are still closed and you say that he is not in a coma? I need to talk to your employer about hiring fake doctors like you. "

" Madam I have been working here as a doctor for the past 10 years. "

" How does that relate with Jesse lying down here helpless? Will what you have said bring him out of the coma? "

" HE IS NOT IN A CO... I won't argue with you. You are just tensed and frightened. Mam I can assure you that he will wake up soon. He only sustained minor injuries on his head, arm and cheeks. Trust me he is fine. " She heaved deeply and kept quiet for a while cleaning the tears that had rolled down her cheeks.

" Okay. I'm sorry. It's just that I am scared. If anything happens to him, it will be my fault. "

" All will be fine. " He said reassuring her.

( KATE'S POV )

The doctor said that he would be up the following evening. Two days had passed and he was yet to wake up. His friends were worried and visited him. Larry was always in the hospital. He requested for Jesse parents to not be informed yet as the doctor said that his case wasn't serious.

When they asked me about what happened, I just told them that he left the house. I could not bring myself to tell them the reason he left the house.

" Kate " it was Larry.

" Hi " I said.

" You should take some rest. " He said concerned. " Not when he is struggling for his life. " I replied moodily. I was tired of people suggesting I take a rest.

" The doctor said that... "

" The doctor said what? That no major injuries was sustained? Yet he hasn't still woken up? Please just let me be. " I said angrily. He came close to me and touched my shoulder. " It's not your fault. " I looked at him shocked.

" What do you mean? " I asked him. " When Jesse left the house, he called me and poured out his frustration. He told me what happened between both of you. Before I could react, he cut the call on me. I wanted to call back but I decided to give him some space. "

" So you know? "

" Kate it is not your fault. "

" How is it not my fault? Jesse has been nothing but nice to me since the first day we met. At my weakest moment he was there for me. He brought me to this amazing country, gave me a roof under my head. He gave me a job. I did not do anything to deserve his kindness but what did I do in return? I broke his heart which led to this accident.  "

" You're being too hard on yourself. "

" Mr Larry I think I need some space. "

" Kat... "

" Please. "

" Okay. But don't do anything to yourself. I will come back later. " He looked at me again before leaving reluctantly.

" Mam you can enter the patient's ward if you want to. " Came the nurse's voice. " Thanks. " I muttered.
I went to Jesse's ward and closed the door behind me and went to sit beside him. I studied his face. Even in his current state, he still looked peaceful.

" Please wake up. Wake up and come back to me. I'm sorry for putting you in this state. You have no idea how life has been without you. I miss your smile, your jokes, your care towards me. I'm sorry I was blunt towards you after you confessed your feelings for me. Please open your lovely eyes for me. "

I looked at him hoping that he wakes up after my speech like in most movies but his eyes were still closed. I sighed heavily and laid down beside him touching his smooth face.

I had really missed everything about him and I craved for his company again. A part of me wants to be the one lying here instead of him. Just as he said it, 'my life lost it colors when I was told of his accident'. ' does this mean that I was in love with him? ' I couldn't believe I had just admitted that.

' But you said you will never fall in love again ' my subconscious told me sarcastically. I ignored it and looked at Jesse smiling.

" Yes. I did say I will never fall in love again but that was in the past. You're my future.

( JESSE'S POV )

I tried to move my arms but I felt something or probably someone's grip on it. I opened my eyes and let out a loud yawn. I looked clearly and there she was, My angel, snoring away. WAIT WAIT WAIT. What happened? Flashes of memories came speeding and I remembered. I was driving very fast and very angry not caring my surrounding.

I had wanted to just kill Daniel for breaking Kate's heart and also for being my brother. He just had to be my brother. I looked around at discovered that I was in a hospital but how did that lead to Kate sleeping besides me.

I looked at her closely. Though she was sleeping, her face looked conflicted. It seemed like she was crying. ' off course she cried ' I scolded myself when I realized. I had put her in such a worried state. I jerked my hands of her grasp but that made her wake up immediately.

After series of stretching and yawning, she noticed her environment and slowly turned her head to me. ' how long did she sleep? '

" Jesse " she whispered. I did not know what to say. " You're awake. " It seemed more of a statement than a question. " Am not dreaming right? " " No. You're not. " I smiled. She smiled and slowly hugged me, tightly. I felt uncomfortable yet so peaceful in her arms. Then she released me and looked at me smiling, trying to blink away her tears.

" Kate I ... "

' SLAM ' she had just slapped me.

' HEI ' I exclaimed. That was totally not expected.

" Are you crazy? What were you thinking getting into an accident. " She said angrily in a low voice. " And why did you even leave the house? I hate you Jesse. I hate you. " Then she got up from the bed and angrily left my ward. She did not turn back to look at me. She did not even give me a chance to explain myself.