Excerpt 1

"Pari, look here, I am there with you. We are safe, Pari. Take deep breaths."
Pari was hysterical. Nia, by now, had quite an experience in making Pari's laboured breathing calm and distracting her with stupid talks.
What was concerning was Pari's rising attacks.
God knows what she has gone through, Nia wondered.

Suddenly, the door opened with a thud. It was Mrs. Sharma. She came walking as fast as her old legs could take and sat on the bed. She took Pari's fragile hand in hers and soothed her.
Pari was crying uncontrollably, sobs wrecking her entire body.

"Pari beta …. everything will be alright, darling. Please don't cry." It seemed to Nia that Pari was not listening to the words but wanted to hold on to their hands.

"Think about the baby. Please."
Nia just glared at Mrs. Sharma. This could go both ways. Either Pari would cry more or stop... but why take risks by bringing up her pregnancy?
It was clear that Pari didn't want to get associated with the baby. But to Nia's surprise, she stopped crying and sat up straight.

"It's not easy when I know I am close to my death. I know, he will not spare me this time. I don't want to die, I don't want to die. Please." Once again, sobs wrecked the poor soul's body as she pleaded for her life.

Mrs. Sharma tried to convince her that she is going to live, age to see her child grow older. But Nia knew Pari wasn't having any.

"He would make me beg till I am fixed at his feet. He would make me rub my nose at his feet telling him how sorry I am, even when I am not." Pari shivered thinking of the consequences of her actions.

"For now, you are here and you don't need to worry about that. Sleep, my child."  Mrs. Sharma comforted her. Once she fell asleep, Nia and Mrs. Sharma went out of the room and sat at the table.

"I know you know about her life. Why can't anyone tell me? She is suffering and whoever did this, deserves to be in jail. Instead, she is rotting here. Can't go away from the house, having sleepless nights ...why can't we just complain to the police?" Nia tried to control herself and not to raise her voice but her blood boiled thinking of Pari's condition. Why would Mrs. Sharma protect the abuser?

"We can't defeat power. Power doesn't see right or wrong." Mrs. Sharma said and walked away, leaving Nia with many unanswered questions.

******

20/12/22

A short excerpt from the book.

Be warned that this is a dark book and none of the characters are perfect.

Let me know what you think of this?! Pls comment and vote!