34

"Is this you, Pari?" Her mother yelled with the newspaper in her hand, as all her family members stood in the living room. Hers was never a filmy family. They were all calm and never spoke above a decimel. Pari & Kabir were the chaotic duo of the family.

But today was different. The atmosphere in the living room was tense, so much so that even Kabir was quietly sitting on the chair.

Her mother was asking her a question and Pari had to respond. Keeping her head low was not going to solve problems and answer questions.

"No." Pari lied. The girl who rarely lied had to lie today.

Hearing Pari's answer, her enraged mother slapped her hard on the face.

Kabir and Priya were shocked seeing this calm and docile person raising her hand on her daughter.

Kabir was the naughtiest, yet his mother never slapped him. She would raise her voice,glare at him, lightly hit on his head, but had never slapped him.

"Shameless girl. Shameless you are! What have I done that you were born to me?" Saying this, her mother broke down.

The newspaper had 2-3 images of Salem kissing a girl. Salem's whole face was visible and Pari's side face was visible. However, those who knew Pari could make it out, due to her face structure and her clothes.

Her aunt consoled her crying mother and yelled at Pari for making her mother cry and tarnish their family name.

"On top of it, she is lying! How could you Pari?" Her mother cried some more before her aunt took her mother inside.

Her father stood there with a disappointed look. Pari was his pride. All 3 kids were the apple of his eyes.
Pari was stubborn, Pari was not selfless but he always believed Pari knew right from wrong and she would never do anything that would be wrong.

But today, he was disappointed in her and his teachings.

"I didn't expect this from you." He said and left from there.

**

The following evening during the dinner time, her aunt informed her about the boy Pari was supposed to meet tomorrow for arranged marriage.

The boy was to come to their home with his family but due to an emergency situation in their family, the parents had to go to their native place.

If the situation was different, they would postpone this and meet the family alongwith the boy. However, he was free only tomorrow and would not mind meeting Pari alone in a near by restaurant. He was what they call or a "modern" thinking. Infact, he wanted to talk to the girl alone.

From what Pari got to know, he has done MBA and had his own business. Her parents would obviously send Kabir with Pari to meet the boy.

Pari tried protesting but her parents were not going to listen to her anymore.

"You are meeting the him tomorrow. That is it. Enough with your tantrums." Her mother said sternly.

"But -" She tried to argue but this time it was her father who said, "Pari, no arguments. It is better the sooner you get married."

Pari's heart broke a little at his words. To her, her father meant the world.

"Okay." She swallowed the hurt she felt at his words.

"I will tell him the truth. The mystery girl on the newspaper is me." She said in a threatening tone. She knew none of her family members would want others to know about this scandal.

They had even denied her stepping out of the house for today.

"Why? When your mother asked, you lied. So, lie tomorrow as well." Her aunt taunted.