20

After knowing that Pari works here part time, Salem's library visits became a regular, except on weekends. The first week he would just stare at her from a distance and when he had an intuition that she would look at him, he would look away.

He used to spend a good two and a half hours at the library. The first hour just staring at her and the second hour trying to study.

Yet, he had not thought of a way to talk to her. In the past week, he had seen how many boys surrounded her, gave her attention and how she didn't pay them any heed. She would only speak when it was necessary. He realised the only way to get her to talk to him was through work.

He saw the time on his watch. Strange, she was late today. As he was skimming through the textbook, the door of the library crooked open and there she was, looking as ethereal as ever. What added to her beauty was the colour yellow. He had never seen her in a bright colour before and he must admit, may be this was her colour. But then, even her usual darker shades, especially red looked attractive on her.
He tracked her moments as she placed her big purse on the side of the table and the college ID card on the other side of the table.

He looked at the time, may be the professor extended a lecture due to which she was late here. As she settled down on her seat, tying her hair in a bun, Salem got up from his seat and walked towards her.

He first asked her about a book's availability to which she shook her head and told him that it is issued and will be available in 3-4 days. He had a look at her college ID card which was kept on the table and said, "Oh! What a coincidence! We go to the same college." And proceeded to tell her the class in which he studies. She looked at him blankly and told him that she is also in the same class.

Of course he knew they were in the same class but he didn't want to tell her the truth.

"Oh you know my name," indicating his library card, "But what's yours?" He acted oblivious.

"Pari. My name is Pari. But are you sure we are in the same class? I haven't seen you before." Pari stated.

Was she blind?! Salem thought. How has she never noticed him before? He was a popular boy in college. Plus, even if he seldom attends the class, he was sure he stood out from others, whether it be on the Rose Day or hearing lecture for coming late to class. Has she never noticed any of it.

"I am sure." He said with a straight face and went back to his seat.

Pari saw him take a seat and looked at him for a few moments before going back to what she was working on. She can't believe she lied just now for such a small thing. She knew he was in her class. Hell, she knew his name even before he joined the library.

Salem Ahmed. That's what girls talked about in class. Even Ashley liked his looks. And as much as Pari was away from gossip and socialising in college, everyone knew he was Tina's boyfriend, the IT girl of the college.

But she didn't want to give him the importance of letting him know that she knew him from before. Pari's ego was hurt when he said he didn't know her name. She knew she was pretty, if not the prettiest and so many boys from their class gave her roses. So what does he think of himself to not have ever noticed her?!

An hour later, Pari saw Salem walk towards her. She was not blind to his looks. He was a fine man with good casual styling. But she didn't believe in having crushes and thinking too deeply about them. She appreciates good looks but that's it. Her brain always told her to stop right there. It always asked her to focus more on ways to earn money or study.

"I figured if we are in the same class, you could help me with this assignment." Salem showed her the sum he had a difficulty with. It was all a lie to get her to talk.