22

Salem was a bit taken back and offended by her question. His look said it all. He didn't answer her but yelled Oliver's name. Oliver, the owner of the cafe visited the cafe on alternate days of the week. Oliver came from inside the kitchen and was delighted to see Salem there. They both hugged as if they were old friends. But how? Pari thought. Oliver was a man in his early 30s and Salem was her age. How are they friends? To her, it seemed an alien concept to befriend people double your age. Work buddies are one thing but apart from that, how can one just be casual friends with age difference.

"Pari! I must tell you this boy here, Salem....if he ever comes, give him the seat in the garden area or whichever he likes." Oliver ordered. The cafe was big. Inside the cafe, in an oval shape was a small garden where there were seating arrangements made on the circumference.

Salem gave her a look indicating he was here to meet his friend, Oliver.
Over the next few weeks, she understood that Salem helped Oliver in setting up the cafe in every way he could. Oliver was not really a chatty guy but he used to always love it when Salem came over. Salem and Oliver lived in the same neighborhood and when Salem got to know of Oliver's interest in starting a cafe, Salem gave him some of the money he made and also shared contacts of vendors he could buy stuff from and also accompanied him. Oliver even gave discounts to Salem but Salem always paid the full price and tipped generously, which is why the staff also remembered him.

As the exams appeared closer, Salem brought his books to Pari and asked her if she could help him in completing the assignments. Pari accepted the offer as she wanted to make extra money and this wasn't much of an efforts. She always thought of completing his books as revision for herself. But they never talked like they did back in the library. Rather, Salem never initiated anything and so Pari didn't talk.

His relationship with Noor was the talk of the college but she also saw him coming with multiple girls in the cafe, sometimes with friends, sometimes without anyone else.

**

Pari looked at the three year old saree of her mother. It was a plain muted pink saree  with silver border. This was her only option for the saree day in the college. Priya tried to cheer her up by even offering her newly bought necklace and bangles, which Pari accepted.

"You look fabulous! I am sure boys would queue up with proposals today." Priya laughed.

"I look fabulous because... it's me, not because this saree is adding up or anything." Pari rolled her eyes.

"Wow! So humble, aren't you?" Priya commented sarcastically.

Pari scrunched up her face and said, "Why?! Why do I have to wear this old saree? You know the rest of the people own their sarees or at least they have a new saree to flaunt." She feared if others would laugh at her.

"All you think is bullshit! As long as you look fine, which you do, nobody is going to say anything. Trust me, you are looking amazing. You do trust me, right?" Priya asked holding Pari's chin and making her look up. Though hesitant, Pari nodded.

Pari's mother and aunt heard it all from the outside of the room. "Didi, sometimes, I wonder why my Pari isn't as understanding as Priya. What did my upbringing lack?" She was vulnerable in front of her sister in law.

"You underestimate Pari. She is as good as any other kid. Haan, thodi ziddi aur pagal hai par buri nahi hai. (She is a little crazy and stubborn but isn't bad)" The aunt tried to console Pari's mother.

True to Priya's words, everyone appreciated Pari and her looks. A few boys even gave her roses. But Pari was still conscious about the old saree but didn't let it show on her face. Her living conditions, especially when she compared it to other kids, bothered her a lot. It was a constant reminder of what she lacked. To her, food, clothes and shelter were not enough. Life had more to it than just being satisfied with these basic necessities. She wanted more, she wished for more.

In the crowd of students, Salem managed to see Pari and was mesmerized by her beauty. Noor dragged him all around the college with her friends but when he saw Pari, his eyes remained on her. He noticed the roses in her hands. It was not unusual for boys to give roses to their crush on such days.

"One year later, you are still staring at her. Are you ever going to tell her?" Aman asked.

Salem just glared at him and Aman knew not to ask further. Salem was a friendly and chill guy,when he wanted to be. But Aman knew when not to mess with him. Salem was great at socialising and networking. What amazed Aman was he had friends of all sorts - from bratty sons of a rich guy to a local gang lord. His network was wide in the area they lived.

He visited the cafe that day and was surprised to see her in the same saree. She didn't change it after college. He was happy to see her like this. If she looked beautiful other times, she was a goddess in the saree.

He said 'hi' to her but this time stayed at the counter, instead of taking a seat.

"You...you look beautiful in a saree." Salem commented. She replied with a small thank you and resumed her work, but he didn't leave.

"I was thinking that I didn't thank you properly for completing the assignment, nor did I talk to you. What can I get for you as a thank you token?"
Salem asked.

"Ummm, you paid me money for the task I did. That's enough." She sensed this conversation not going to end well. She wanted to escape the conversation. Where was Oliver when you needed him? He would just take Salem away from her for a chat.

"You sure? I would have liked to bought you a cheesecake." Salem asked.

"Yes, I am sure." She said and tucked the irritating hair strand that kept coming on her face behind her ear. Salem sat on the table exactly infront of her and watched her tying her hair in a bun. He couldn't believe something as mundane as tying her hair in a bun would keep him hooked. For the next few weeks, he visited the cafe often, either with friends or girls, and stared at her sneakily.

The last three days he was bolder and didn't care if she noticed it or looked at him. He would intently stare at her while she kept working on the book or talking to customers.

She had mentioned it to Priya who was another sample in her life. "You mentioned he is a model? So, if he is good looking then why not?" Pari just lightly hit her on the head.

One day in the evening when Pari was about to leave the cafe, Salem blocked her way. As she looked up, she saw him in black round gold rimmed shades. She moved to walk from right and he moved to the right as well. When she moved towards the left, he moved with her. She stopped and looked at him, asking him to give her the space to leave but he didn't react.

He removed his shades and put them in the front of his shirt. "Let's cut the chase, shall we?" He said as she gave him a questioning look.

"I would like to take you on a date. Would you like to come with me?" Salem asked directly. He was not much of a poet or someone who would talk in riddles.

"What?" The words just came out of her mouth. She couldn't form a sentence.

"I thought about it. There is just something that intrigues me about you. I can't get over your thoughts. Will you go out with me?" If he knew how to say romantic poems, he would say it. But today, he felt like saying the truth and letting it out.

"I- I can't." She answered. To an extent, it disgusted her that he was in a relationship and asking her out on a date.

"I think you should find someone else to answer your intrigue. I can't and don't want to go on a date with you." She said firmly and left him on the stairs of the cafe.

All he knew was he needed a smoke to calm his mind. He didn't even remember the last time a girl said no to him.

_______

Sept 25, 2023

Please Comment and Vote!

Btw, to all who reads this, please keep in mind this is a fictional work. In real world,  a NO is a NO. Anyone who doesn't respond to you is also a NO. So, back off and stop bothering them at once. You will meet other people who will like you genuinely. No need to take a rejection at heart. Life doesn't end when someone says NO to you.