16 🫐 Chapter 16

In the end, Yuzuru only replied to my photo with more laughing emojis, and when I woke up the next day, I couldn't believe what weird thoughts I had the day prior. Without the impending food coma, I now found it laughable that I got butterflies in my stomach when he remembered the name of my childhood dog. Or that he zeroed in on my lips and the only explanation my brain could provide was a want for a kiss.

Ah, get a grip, Ivy.

I thought and went about my day, packing for Russia and facepalming here and there whenever I recalled any of those moments. As it turned out, none of the winter clothes I packed could prepare me for the weather in Russia but it turned out that the extensive training prepared us well for the competition. I was grinning like an idiot when we stood on the podium with the gold medals around our necks, gripping Marco's hand tight and more than ever feeling ready for the Olympics.

I barely got a chance to see Yuzuru there but I did spot him in the audience with other skaters and even though he was disappointed over his second silver medal this season, his congratulations were still genuine and full of pride as if he won it himself. I knew that a big part of our placement was due to Virtue/Moir not participating, but it only sparked more competitiveness within me for the Olympics, and as soon as we returned I made sure to train even harder.

I wished I could say the same about Marco who seemed to be happy about the medal for exactly 24 hours after our score appeared on the screen. By the time the gala came, he was already antsy to get back home and was lost in his thoughts the whole flight back, leaving me blankly staring out the window in boredom. Our practices fell back to our usual routine, him barely talking or getting agitated over every little thing and it seemed to me that the better I felt, the moodier he was getting. It was as if my gleeful mood and enthusiasm to practice harder were only setting him off.

He was doing his best to keep it all in, not taking it out on me, but it was easy to tell he was quietly fuming. Though it was creating an uncomfortable atmosphere I didn't mind it as much as the fact that he didn't share whatever was bothering him with me, his closest friend.

And that was what hurt the most.

Yuzuru wasn't doing any better for the first days after we returned but he started to wait for me after practice again, extending his own training time and sometimes even coming to watch us skate. We resumed our walks home and unlike Marco, he let me be there for him and ease his mind, eventually feeling better as his practice was significantly improving day by day.

The next competition ahead was NHK Trophy and we were both looking forward to being in Japan though I could do without Yuzuru's constant threats that he'll tell the Japanese media that I actually speak Japanese. It was my absolute nightmare that they would find out one day and force me to speak, laughing at all the mistakes I make. There were moments when I couldn't tell if he was joking or not and I foolishly ended up making a bet with him that he won't tell as long as we win. Given that Tessa and Scott were to compete at that one too, it wasn't the smartest bet to make.

****

"I spoke with Brian and Tracy," I pant as Marco and I sit down on a bench and start taking off our skates after our practice. "I would like to have an extra hour on the ice each day until the Olympics and they said it could actually be arranged."

"Huh?!" Marco shoots me a surprised look before his brows furrow into a deep frown. "When?"

"Our last session each day could be made longer. There's nobody after us on the ice, so--"

"When did you speak with them?" I can hear he's trying to hold back and not show how much it annoyed him and I purse my lips tight, having just enough of his shitty mood when every little thing sets him off. There were times when he used to tell me everything and now I'm not sure if I even know him at all.