26 🫐 Chapter 26

The weekend was quiet. Yuzuru spent it gaming on the PlayStation and catching up with everything he missed there, while I lied on the sofa with my feet in his lap and a book in hand.

Here and there, I paused reading and watched him sneakily over the rim of the book, smiling whenever his mouth opened as he focused on the game. Or the deep frown while smashing the buttons on the controller as he was killing his enemies. The game consumed him for those two days and the sight of him consumed me, keeping me distracted from the period cramps. Nonetheless, I still registered how he was flexing the toes on his right foot during the loading screens, wincing a little in pain, as if to remind himself nothing is as idyllic as it seemed. It left me wondering if I should open the topic or let him process it himself. I didn't want to create the same overly concerned atmosphere as the one he was running from though his relationship with his mother has improved significantly since then. Eventually, I resolved to only admire his handsome features and leave the serious stuff be unless he would bring it up himself.

"Would you like some tea with the staring?" He suddenly utters on Sunday evening with his eyes still on the TV screen and I squeak, startled.

"W-What?"

"I just thought," he smirks but doesn't take his eyes off the game, "I could make you some tea so you can sip on it while burning a hole into the side of my head with that intense stare of yours."

"S-Sorry," I mutter and slide lower on the sofa, raising the book to hide my face behind it.

"Something on your mind?"

"No? Why? Not at all."

He chuckles and shakes his head before pausing the game and turning to look at me. A second later, the book is no longer in my hands and his face is right before mine. "Hi."

"Hiiii," I squeak again and he laughs, ruffling my hair.

"So, would you tell me now," he says in a dangerously low voice, "why are you observing me all weekend like I'm some science project?"

"You're very handsome," I state, and if I wouldn't be so scared of getting caught, I would laugh as his face instantly turns red.

"Huh?"

"You're nice to look at. That's all," I say, this time with way more confidence as I'm getting the higher ground in the conversation. His posture goes quickly from predatory to timid and he pulls away, scratching the back of his head.

"It's past your bedtime," he mutters matter-of-factly but his face and neck are still playing in all shades of crimson.

I laugh and poke his shoulder with my foot, "why so flustered? You must be getting compliments left and right, all day long."

"Let's sleep," he gets up and turns off the TV, leaving me on the sofa as he walks away to the bedroom.

And they say that women are complicated.

It wouldn't be me if I would let something this harmless be and so once we are tucked in and say our goodnights, I open the topic again. In return, I get a groan as a response, followed by a long sigh.

"Is it a crime to get flustered?" He mutters and I wiggle as his minty breath brushes my nose.

"It's not a crime," I bring my palms to his chest and play with his shirt but keep my eyes closed. "I'm just surprised. There are dozens of Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube accounts dedicated to admiring your looks."

"That's different."

"Because it was me?"

He sighs again and for a long while doesn't answer before giving in to the anticipation-filled silence. "If I answer, will you promise not to pity me? I don't like when you do that."