FOUR

I tried out for the rest of the jobs. I didn't quite like all of them except for med-jack. And Gally was a jerk when I tried out for builders. He left me to my own vices and bagged on me when I wasn't doing anything. Which caused me to lash out at him. Nick had to come calm down the situation because Gally was a short fuse and ready for a fight.

"What is wrong with you Jane? You're picking fights with everyone."

I shook out my hands, trying to slow my breathing down. I was mad. Mad at stupid Gally with his backwards logic. Mad at Nick, because he won't stop asking me what's wrong. And mad at my stupid self, because I haven't told anyone yet. I don't know if I could at this point.

I haven't seen Him around and I feared that maybe I made up the situation, maybe it was just a dream. Maybe I had just fallen, hit my head, and passed out. But the feeling of him against me was too real and I still had bruises on my wrists. Something that I have taken great measures to cover. Even if I haven't seen him, I could still feel him. Watching me. Waiting for me to tell someone.

But I couldn't and Nick was still waiting for my answer. "Nothing is wrong with me. Maybe something is wrong with you guys."

"You're lying." His voice was flat and he didn't hesitate.

"What?"

"I have been giving you the benefit of the doubt, because you're new here, but this goes beyond first day jitters. Something happened the other day, why won't you tell me?"

"Nothing happened." I said in a small voice. "Just drop it."

"Jane."

"Nick. I don't want to talk about it."

"You're going to have to. I'm tired of pulling apart your fights."

"Then don't. I can handle them myself." I got tired of this conversation and started to walk away.

Nick followed me. "You pick fights with people bigger than you. I'm only asking because I care about you."

I scoffed, choking out a laugh. "Care about me?" I stopped and turned to him. Nick was tall, a couple inches taller than me, so I have to look up. "You barely even know me."

"I don't have to know you to care about you." His eyes were kind and I was brought back to just a few days ago when I had the urge to kiss him. "Jane, did someone hurt you?" I continued to stare in his eyes and I know he saw the change behind my eyes. The fear I felt as I remembered the boy's face. I closed my eyes and turned my head down. "Who?" His voice was darker.

Well it's too late now. "I don't know who he is. He didn't have time to tell me his name."

"Do you remember what he looks like?" How can I forget? I nodded. "Alright. I'm calling a gathering."

After lunch, Nick called everyone into the foyer of the homestead. It was loud and packed, but when Nick called order everyone stilled. He looked at me, motioning for me to take a look around the room.

I didn't like this, everyone was looking back at me confused. I was standing on the stairs with Nick, getting up to higher ground to see everyone. They were all confused, Nick didn't tell them what we were doing, but they didn't question it.

I feared that maybe the boy was in here. That maybe he was looking back at me and smirking like he did that day, but after a couple of looks around the room, I saw he wasn't here. I shook my head. Nick sighed. He addressed the boys. "Alright, I didn't think I would have to say this, but if anyone lays a hand on Jane, you shanks are going in the slammer. Do anything worse and I'm banishing your sorry asses. Do you understand me?" They mumbled a yes and Nick dismissed them. "I need a description. So I know who I'm looking for."