SIXTEEN

My head pounded and my ribs felt sore. But...I wasn't sure why. I sat up, groaning, holding my side. I for sure slept wrong, but why after so many months would my body hurt from sleeping on this bed?

There was a pounding on my door and Minho yelled out I was late.

"Shit." I got up and pulled on my running gear, but was confused on why I was fully dressed, much less in boy clothes. Who had given these to me? Maybe it was sent up to me by mistake and I fell asleep without realizing it.

I shook my head and headed downstairs to eat breakfast. There were a few non-Runners eating already and they gave me some weird looks as I grabbed my food and sat to eat next to Minho.

"What's up with your face Shank?" He asked, mouth full of food.

I frowned and I hissed at the pain it caused. "What the hell?" I touched it where it hurt and felt a bumpy line trailing from my hairline to my left eyebrow. "I don't know. It wasn't there last night."

Come to think of it. I couldn't remember last night. It was blurry. The last thing I remember was going to bed after having dinner with the greenie. Chuck.

As I thought something felt like it was missing. I hadn't been alone while greeting the greenie. After I split up with Jack the trainee I went to see the greenie. But someone took me to him. I didn't go alone.

"Janie, you look like you're going to have a stroke." Newt sat down, tray in hand. "You okay?" He pointed to my forehead.

"I...don't know." I turned to Minho. "I don't think I'll be able to run today."

Minho shook his head and sighed. "You look like you're going to throw up and that's something I don't feel comfortable seeing. Go and rest. I'll get someone to cover."

"Thanks." I got up quickly, saying bye to them and giving Frypan my plate back. I haven't touched anything on it.

Why did I feel so weird? Where did the mark on my forehead come from? Why does my body and head hurt? I came to a stop in front of my door and then realized I was at the one before mine. Why would I stop here?

I wanted to cry. I was so confused and felt like I was forgetting something. It felt like my first days.

But even then...as I thought about them, everything was off. Someone had given me the tour but I don't remember who. Someone was with me those days and every day after that. But who...?

I got to my room and slammed the door. I was going to have a panic attack. I felt it. How can I just forget someone? I knew it was someone and I could see myself walking with that person, but they were like a shadow. A ghost. I couldn't see who they were.

My head hurt more than it did when I woke up and I felt like actually throwing up. What the hell is going on?

I pulled myself up and headed to the med room. Clint was in there already, setting up for the day. "Jane, what are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be running?"

"I don't feel good. My head hurts and I feel like I'm going to throw up."

He frowned. "Do you feel hot, clammy?" Now that he mentioned it, I did. I nodded. "You seem to be breathing pretty fast. Do you feel sick?"

"I feel like I'm going to be sick." I closed the door and sat on the bed. "Clint, who took me on my tour."

He was taken aback by the question. "I assume the same person who takes everyone on their tour. Our leader." I gave him an expectant look. "Alby. Jane, are you okay."

I stared past him. "No." It wasn't an answer to his question. Even though I didn't feel okay. It was Alby. It couldn't have been. Alby was...a Runner. Wasn't he? "Alby doesn't run the Maze anymore?"