THIRTY-FIVE

It was all roaring feet and heavy breaths. A lot of the boys were some ways behind and I found myself running with Minho and Thomas. Newt was close by, but he ran crookedly, it slowed him down. He was fast though and not once complained about his ankle even though I knew it hurt him.

I was amazed to find that I still knew the way to the cliff even though it's been a week or so. I used my old techniques to not get tired easily and they came in hand, I had lasted the whole way.

The last corner was a T shape, when we got to it Minho had the group come to a stop, Thomas peeked around and then pulled back immediately. Newt shuffled forward, puffing. "How many."

"A dozen. At least fifteen" on both sides."

"They've been waiting for us!" Minho exclaimed quietly.

"We shouldn't have come." Alby said. He was so quiet it was odd to hear him, his voice echoed in the hallow maze walls.

"It's better than being holed up in the homestead. Now only one shank has to die." Minho was blunt.

Alby went slack, his bow falling out of his hand. I cringed at the sound it made and looked at the pack of Grievers, hoping they didn't hear it. They stayed at the end of the hall, guarding the cliff. "Maybe I should..." He took off his quiver of arrows and placed them by his arrow.

"What are you doing?" I whispered. He walked toward the grievers, his eyes wide, almost staring in awe.

"Alby?" Newt and I said at the same time. Alby took off running. "Get back here." Newt yelled at him. But he was already at the end of the hall, throwing himself on top of the grievers. They moved in a blur, tearing and pulling at the Alby like he was nothing.

Thomas struggled with Newt, keeping him from running after his friend. "There's nothing you can do."

Newt sagged against him. "I can't believe it. I can't believe he did that."

I stared at the spot where Alby had disappeared. There was nothing but a red spot now and chunks of meat and clothes. I gagged and held back my throw up. That wouldn't help anyone right now. Minho and Thomas talked about the plan and Newt scoffed.

"How can you guys be so heartless?"

"What do you want us to do, Newt? Dress up and have a funeral?" Minho asked roughly. Newt didn't answer,just continued staring. Minho continued. "Alby didn't want to go back to his old life, he freaking sacrificed himself for us-and they aren't attacking so maybe it worked. We'd be heartless if we wasted it." Minho turned to the rest of the boys. "Our number one priority is protect Thomas and Teresa, get them to the cliff and hole so they can-"

The sounds of grievers cut him off and with terror icy in my veins I watched as both groups of grievers made their way to us.

Alby's sacrifice failed.

I almost expected Minho to actually kill Thomas, but instead he yelled at the boys to fight some griever ass. It was more than appropriate and the boys after being yelled at again did as they were told. My heart leaped in my throat and I had to pull Newt up from his spot.

I wanted nothing but to keep chuck here in this corner and wait for Thomas and Teresa to do what they needed. But the little boy was already running into battle, his long knife in hand, screaming. He headed straight for a griever and it had its sights locked on him. "Oh my god." I left Newt's side and ran after Chuck.

One of its arms was reaching for him, but I ran into it, knocking it to the side. The metal was hard and cold and was sure to leave a bruise on my ribs. "Jane!" Chuck yelled, I looked at him, but was hit in the temple with a stray arm.