SEVEN

My head felt like construction was going on up there, but a pain reliever from Clint was enough to subsided. The last thing I remember from last night was asking Minho about being a Runner and then drinking from his cup. Most of it was a blur but I knew I had fun, so I didn't really care that I now felt like I was going to throw up. I vaguely remembered dancing. But I wasn't sure with who.

In any case, Clint let me relax for a bit and didn't give me too much work. He understood what it was like to be a greenie after the bonfire. I rested until it was time for lunch.

Nick commented on my constant drinking of water and the fact that I was scarfing down my food.

"I feel like if I don't, I might die." He laughed. "I'm serious." I looked around at our table and noticed it was just us two. "Where's Alby?" It was his day off today.

"He had to fill Jeff's spot." So that was the boy's name.

"Oh that reminds me. I made a deal with Minho-"

"He told me." Nick's face went serious and I regret bringing up the topic. "I thought you dropped being a Runner."

I now poked at my food, not that hungry anymore. "I did for a moment. But because no one took me seriously on it. Not even Minho. But if I do good when he tests me then I get to be a Runner. And if I don't...well you guys won't hear another peep from me about it."

"Jane I just don't want you to end up with the crossed off names. I don't know what I would do if that happened and I allowed it."

I avoided his sad eyes, guilt taking over. "You don't have to worry about me, I'm tougher than nails."

He thought for a second then gave me a small smile. "Yeah, you are. Just don't put too much hope. And if you do, make it. Don't let it be for nothing."

I beamed at his confirmation. "Don't worry Nicky boy. I'll try my hardest."

He smiled at the nickname and we continued eating in silence.

When the break before dinner came, I used that time to train. I warmed up with jumping jacks and leg stretches. Nick gave me a wristwatch that no one was using and I used the timer on it. I pressed start and took off.

I thought it would be better to start off with running from one wall to another than running the whole Glade. I didn't want to overdo myself.

The wind was great on my face, but I was pretty sure my hair would be a mess after this. I should have tied it up. It's too late now.

When my other hand touched the wall I stopped the timer. Panting I checked the time. Ten minutes and fourteen seconds. Not bad. But it could be better. I gave myself some time to cooldown, stretching all the while, and then went back to the other wall.

I was sure the other boys stared, but I didn't care. I loved running, I found and I'd be damned if embarrassment stopped me from being a Runner.

I also trained before bed, relishing in the cool air of the night. I knew it wasn't smart to be out by myself at night, but I needed to use any time I got.

I didn't run too much and decided that I would shower tomorrow because it was too dark now. And I was starting to feel like I was being watched.

When I got to my room, I stripped and flopped onto my bed. I knocked out as soon as my face hit the pillow.

[dream]

I felt trapped. I couldn't move and everything in my body told me to run. I couldn't even open my mouth to speak. Where was I? It was bright, the walls were white and the lights were whiter. The room was cold.