Prologue

(Michael's POV)

I heard growling, howling, and snarling as I made my way to the bastard that dared trespass into my territory with his pack completely unannounced. Being a new Alpha, I did not take kindly to the outward disrespect these wolves dared to show me by walking into my land without asking for my permission.

I kept my posture rigid and my face devoid of any emotion as I approached, who I instantly recognized as their leader. He was the only one in his human form. My beta and third in command cautiously followed me as they kept their eyes fixed on the three wolves the leader brought.

"You are trespassing," I retrained myself from growling.

"I can see that," he grinned cockily.

"Leave now or I'll kill you," this time I growled.

"Such manners, Alpha Michael," he snickered as he confidently approached me.

I felt a chill crawl up my spine. I could sense something evil about him, and I always trusted my instincts. I growled when he walked near me, and he gave me an amused smile.

"I am Alpha Nicholas," he said as he took deliberate slow steps in my direction.

In that moment, I picked up the scent of dozens of wolves. None of them belonged to my pack.

I stiffened as I noticed that they all stood behind their alpha waiting for orders.

'Come to the south clearing, we have trespassers' I mind-linked my pack calmly, not once taking my eyes off Nicholas. He smiled as he turned to a young wolf and whispered something to him. The wolf nodded as he looked me in the eyes.

I felt goosebumps all over my body, he's going to be trouble.

"I'm sure you would like us to save you the idle chatter. Therefore, I'll just  come out and tell you that we're here to take your territory," Nicholas smirked.

I snarled and shifted into a black wolf. Nicholas followed suit and transformed into a giant grey wolf.

He immediately sprung into action, and I did too. My beta and third in command shifted and began to fight off Nicholas's men.

Nicholas used the side of his body to knock me into a nearby tree, and I easily retaliated by jumping at him and biting his ear. Nicholas howled in pain and scratched my stomach with his claws. I hissed and bit his neck, but he had already expected that as he bit mine as well. I pushed him off me and Nicholas sprang again and I narrowly evaded.

Nicholas was fast, that's for sure. But his speed will not bring him victory. I ran towards Nicholas and bit his hind leg. Nicholas hissed as he attempted to free himself, but I had a tight grip. I began to wriggle my head side to side, and he howled loudly as he clawed me. Yet, I did not let go.

I distinctively heard my pack arriving and helping my beta, John, and my third in command, Geo. With one strong jerk I pulled out a chunk of Nicholas's leg, and my wolf rejoiced at the sight of his blood. I attacked once again, this time clawing Nicholas as much as I could. I then heard a painful howl and realizing it belonged to John, I turned.

I watched in horror as three wolves bit out a chunk of his neck, instantly killing him.

I howled, wanting nothing more than to kill those bastards, but despite the pain, I couldn't allow myself to get distracted.

I turned my attention back to Nicholas. I attacked again, but this time I felt a strong weight land on my back. Startled, I landed on my back and turned to growl only to see my father who had his attention elsewhere. Confused, I followed his line of sight only to see we were surrounded.