Chapter 12

(Caleb's POV)

I've been having random increases of my senses these past days, and they are extremely overwhelming. When I'm walking down the school hallways, I can randomly see everyone closer and it leaves me completely disoriented. Everyone's voices simultaneously ring in my head, and I find it difficult to only concentrate in one voice.

When I'm walking in the cafeteria I can smell everyone, and I do mean I can smell them. I found that everyone has their distinct smell and lately I've been easily distinguishing Mac, Sean, and Lexi from the crowd. However, there is something that bothers me. Lexi's smell sometimes has this other scent that lingers on her.

"So I was thinking that for prom, I can wear a blue dress. You'll wear the matching suit and tie. We'll be the most envied couple." Lexi said as she looked me over. I nodded mutely as she frowned. "What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing," I shrugged as her eyes narrowed.

"You've been so distant with me lately," she pursed her lips furiously. Her arms crossed as she glared at me.

"I'm sorry," I sighed.

"Sorry? Is that all you can say?" Lexi scoffed as she looked around. She then lowered her voice to a whisper. "There are rumors that we might break up. It's horrible, so stop acting like this."

"I'm going through a rough time right now," I told her honestly.

"Then take care of that soon because I don't like this shift in your attitude," she snapped as she pushed her hair back.

"So do you guys want to go to the lake this weekend?" Mac asked uncomfortably.

"Nope sorry, I have cross country practice," Lexi shook her head. I narrowed my eyes suspiciously.

Every time we make plans, she's at practice. I may not know much about sports, but I do know that sports don't take up all your time like she makes it sound. Add to my suspicion is that every time she comes back from practice another scent mingles with hers.

"But cross country practice was cancelled this weekend." Ash said as he scratched the back of his head. Lexi glared at him, and Ash smirked.

"What the hell are you doing here Ash?" Lexi asked angrily.

"Well, I'm finally deciding to start showing up to class. Graduation is right around the corner," Ash shrugged.

"Well why don't you buzz off and go to another table? Nobody wants you here!" Lexi snapped.

I raised an eyebrow at her behavior. I had never seen her so antagonistic towards Ash before. Then again, I had never paid attention before.

"Chill sweet heart. You might get wrinkles," Ash chuckled.

"F*ck off, you jerk!" She stood up angrily as she slammed her fist on the table. This got several people's attention drawn to our table.

"Calm down, Lexi," I said soothingly. Lexi turned to me incredulously.

"Why are you taking his side?" She asked accusingly. "I'm your girlfriend! Not him! You know what? I'm leaving. I can see that I'm not wanted here."

I watched in surprise as she grabbed her stuff and took off. Her hair swung from the speed at which she left.

"What was that all about Ash?"I finally asked him.

"If I were you, I wouldn't trust my girlfriend so easily Caleb," Ash warned me, and I frowned. Was Lexi really cheating on me?

The rest of the day I kept wondering if Lexi was cheating on me. Would she? If so that would explain why her scent was mixed with someone else's. Mac and Sean recommended me to follow her on the weekend. They even volunteered to help me.