Chapter 29

(Roger's POV)

My gaze followed after my alpha's form as he tightened his hold on the human's body. His form shook as silent tears escaped his eyes. I turned away from my heartbroken alpha and scanned the dead bodies.

My gaze zeroed in on Brad, which had been our biggest threat. He had faced Caleb, and he had lost within seconds. Normally this wouldn't have been an impressive feat since alphas are naturally stronger than gammas. However, Caleb's situation had been different since his wolf had emerged recently. Unlike the rest of us, he hadn't been raised to fight.

I turned back to Mac and realized that his death had awoken our alpha's instincts. In his concern for the mortal, he had unlocked his true potential. He had slain wolf after wolf in his righteous anger, and I would never forget the magnificent sight that he made.

A golden wolf.

What a sight he would make by our Alpha Jade's side. Both of their furs would contrast beautifully. Sadly, it was only through unfortunate circumstances that he was able to unleash his true potential.

I shook away my thoughts as I turned to my mourning alpha.

"Go treat the wounded and account for the dead," I ordered a melancholic pack member. He nodded solemnly as he turned around and left.

I approached my alpha and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"My alpha, you need to release him," I said as he finally looked up at me. I tried not to flinch at his dead expression. I had never seen this expression on him before.

"Mark my words, Tyler will pay," he said coldly as he tightened his hold on Mac. I nodded in agreement as he carefully put Mac down. He then stood upright as his eyes traveled towards his and Richard's remaining pack members. "This has gone on for too long, and I refuse to allow it to continue for another day."

By now, he had everyone's attention.

"Let's end this tonight! Tyler's arrogance has likely blinded him to the possibility of our success. We will catch the arrogant bastard by surprise. He may outnumber us, but that will not deter us! You may think me a sentimental fool that is acting out of rage and a thirst for vengeance. And you are not wrong. Too many of our brethren have fallen to that blood thirsty maniac, and I say we return the favor! Now, while the element of surprise is in our favor."

His expression hardened as his conviction was evident. Motivated by his passionate speech, the others howled in agreement. I caught my alpha's eye and nodded. He then turned to check on the injured and dead. He gave one last glance to Mac as he grabbed his discarded gun and left.

My gaze remained on the weapon in my alpha's hands.

The gun may be a lethal weapon, unfortunately it had its downsides in the battlefield. As it was seen with Mac, you're as good as dead if you miss or run out of bullets.

I approached the blond human, whose hair was caked in mud and blood, and I mentally vowed to avenge him. He had aided us in our victory at the cost of his life. "Your death will not be in vain, brother," I whispered as I kneeled by his side.

I closed my eyes and sent a quick prayer to my fallen comrade. After paying my respects, I stood.

That's when I noticed it.

A slight twitch in his hand. My eyes widened as I approached him to double check. I placed a hand over his nose and felt nothing. I felt like I had imagined it, until I checked for his pulse. It was weak, almost nonexistent, but it was there.

I smiled and called over one of Richard's pack members. "He's alive," I whispered to him, not wanting my alpha to hear.

Call me selfish, but I would rather not raise his hopes up. I know it's cruel of me to keep it a secret, but I will not allow him to suffer all over again if Mac doesn't make it.