Chapter 7

(Jade's POV)

My mate's words disturbed me. His scent gave out no signs of deceit when he denied being one of us. Yet I knew it was impossible for him to be oblivious to his instinctual side.

Our wolf manifests itself when we are around the age of six. My mate appears to be around 18 years old, so he must have shifted by now.

However, the more I scented him, the more I realized that it was possible that he hadn't ever shifted. This would explain his weak scent.

I made a mental note to ask Richard about it since I had never heard of a case like his.

"Do you really think he can lead the pack?" Mason asked as he stood beside me at the training field.

I gave him a side way glance and growled at him in warning. Ever since he found out about my mate's strangely weak senses, Mason has been making snide comments about him.

"I am merely making an observation Jade. He's weak. I mean look at him," Mason said as he inclined his head to the side.

I indulged him and turned.

The first thing I saw was Caleb walking towards his friends sloppily with a blindfold on. He clearly didn't have a trained nose, but I had to admit, I did see some progress from the previous day.

Yesterday, he had walked around blindly until he finally learned how to track down his human friends. However, he seemed to have great difficulty in tracking the pups. His friends have a heavy scent of cologne and the pups don't. Having been raised in this area, their scent blended  with their surroundings.

I smiled when Caleb finally found Lucas. It was progress, and I'm pretty sure Geo was partially responsible for that. Once a teacher always a teacher.

"What kind of wolf can't even shift? And this isn't just any wolf. No. This wolf had to be the alpha's mate automatically making him an alpha as well," Mason snarled bitterly. "He doesn't deserve to be an alpha, much less your mate," Mason growled as his eyes flickered crimson.

"Mason, I forbid you to keep insulting my mate." I wasn't in the mood for Mason's jealousy at the moment.

Mason snarled and kicked a punching bag, automatically breaking its chain and sending it flying a few good meters away. But he did not stop there.

He grabbed a 200 pound boulder and easily launched it several feet away. There was a loud crash as the boulder knocked down a small tree. I heard several gasps of shock as the men witnessed Mason's brute strength.

"Damn it Jade! Stop defending that poor excuse of a wolf!" By now everyone at the training field was staring. I could feel their eyes looking at us questionably. "He is nothing but a waste of space and wolf blood. He-"

"You will not undermine my mate!" I growled at him, and Mason turned to me angrily. He opened his mouth to argue but I continued. "That is an order." I'm sure my eyes flickered as I tried my hardest to maintain my composure.

"Yes my alpha," he clenched his teeth and with those words he stormed away. I felt a presence behind me and I turned to find Roger staring at me strangely.

"What do you want?" I asked brusquely. It was uncommon for me to argue with Mason, so our little fight was making me feel edgy and moody. Roger shook his head and sighed.

I ignored everyone's stares as I turned to watch my mate again. The anger I felt over my fight with Mason slowly vanished as I watched his goofy grin. He looked so childish, gentle, and carefree as he celebrated his victory over finding the pups. His form radiated calmness and innocence, something that is often lacking in male werewolves.