Chapter 10

(Caleb's POV)

I heard the teacher endlessly babbling about math, which was the last thing on my thoughts. Ever since I came back home, I can't help but feel as if I was missing something important. I feel unhappy and can't concentrate on anything. My parents were ecstatic to have me around again and Lexi came to visit me, which surprisingly didn't make me feel better.

"Mister Etheridge, pay attention," my math teacher, Mr. Harris snapped angrily. I nodded and pretended to be paying attention and not thinking about the beautiful yet mysterious Jade.

I watched everyone writing notes, or at least pretending to, and let out a sigh. God my life is boring; I had never realized that before.

The bell rang signaling lunch time. Usually this was my favorite time. Unfortunately now that my sense of smell is slightly more developed, I can smell so many things at the same time. This usually results in giving me headaches. I remember Geo telling me to focus on a pleasant smell and everything else would feel slightly less strong. Sometimes it worked.

"Hey Caleb," I smiled when I saw Lexi sitting on the table.

"What were you talking about?" I asked, noticing that Mac and Sean seemed silent, which was not unusual anymore.

"I was discussing with Mia and Kate about going clubbing right after school. What do you say?" Lexi asked as she twirled her chocolate brown hair.

"Sounds fun," I said with a forced smile. I notice I've been doing that a lot recently. It's only been a month since I've last seen Jade, but it feels like an eternity.

The rest of the day went by completely uneventful, and before I even knew it, I was already walking downstairs to go to the club. My mom smiled at me, and I returned it.

That's another thing that had changed. She was now much more attentive with me.

"Have fun and remember don't stay up too late," I nodded as I walked outside. A minivan was already waiting for me outside. I smiled when I got in. I sat next to Lexi and only half listened as she giggled and gossiped with her friends.

One of our friends, Ash, was driving and Christian sat beside him on the passenger seat. Mac and Sean sat at the very back with Kate, while I was in the middle seats along with Mia and Lexi.

Throughout the whole ride I kept staring out the window, watching cars pass by. I barely processed the moment when Ash parked his van. It wasn't until Lexi was tugging on my arm, that I realized that we had arrived.

It wasn't hard to sneak into the club since Ash's cousin worked there. He allowed us to walk right in.

Unfortunately, as soon as I walked in, I gasped. The music pounded on my ear drums. I didn't remember ever being affected so much by the noise. I called Lexi, but she was already on the dance floor with her friends. I hissed as I covered my ears.

"Caleb, are you alright?" Sean asked loudly, and I shook my head.

Damn, what's going on with me? Lately, I've been finding myself with several headaches. I vaguely felt Sean's hand on my elbow, leading me outside. I sighed in relief when we were out the back door.

"Thanks man," I said after the pounding in my head was gone.

"Too much noise? Or was it too many smells?"

"Both, they combined to form a terrible migraine," I replied honestly. The moment I walked in, I was overwhelmed the amount of smells.

I could smell alcohol, sweat, and something that I couldn't pinpoint. Then there's the sound of several conversations occurring simultaneously. All those voices are killing me, and it's the same thing at school. If I don't control it, it's going to be the end of me.

"Where's Mac?"

"He went to get us some drinks," Sean answered as he took out his cell phone. "We should leave. This place is clearly affecting you." He was about to call his parents, but I shook my head.

"Nah, I'll be fine. I'm sure I can manage. It just took me by surprise. You know?" Sean looked suspicious before he reluctantly nodded.

We were about to go back in when I heard a loud crash. I looked at Sean wondering if he heard it too, and by the way he looked curiously at the dark alley, I knew he did. I began to walk towards the direction of the noise but stopped when Sean grabbed my arm and shook his head. I forcibly pulled my arm away and ignored him.

I was more concerned about finding someone being beaten or worse, killed. It was risky, but I couldn't just walk away. I heard Sean's footsteps behind me since he had decided to follow.

"I swear I didn't know Richard was there!" I heard a man's panicked cries followed by a harsh pounding sound. I cautiously looked to see what was going on.

There were three men standing by a dark alley. There was a guy wearing a hoodie standing beside a tall regal man, and they were both looking down at a young male, who was at the floor.

The young male on the floor was looking up while holding his jaw. Blood dripped down his nose and from the corner of his lip.

"You keep messing up Ed, and we  don't tolerate those who mess up." The guy in the hoodie said, while flexing his knuckles threateningly. "Kevin, kill him."

The guy, Ed, shook and threw himself at their feet. "Please don't kill me. I won't mess up again. I promise." He whimpered desperately.

The guy in the hoodie smirked and knelt down to his level. He gripped his chin aggressively and snickered. "Trust me, you're lucky that I'm showing you mercy. You would be begging for death after Tyler got his hands on you. Especially because you displeased him with your failure."

At hearing that name, he paled and started crying loudly. The guy in the hoodie stood and then flicked his wrist.

As if that were his cue, the regal man didn't hesitate and shot the guy in the forehead. Then he nonchalantly eyed the dead body.

I had tried jumping out to try to stop him, but Sean grabbed my arm and shook his head. He and I knew that we couldn't do anything about it.

"Let's go," Sean whispered but apparently too loud since the guy in the hoodie and Kevin turned to us.

I didn't stop to think twice and pulled Sean with me. We both ran and were almost inside the club when I felt a hand roughly pull me aside and shove me against the wall.

"Wrong place, wrong time rogue," Kevin said as he growled at me. I inwardly panicked realizing that they were both werewolves but remained silent.

"Another wolf, I'm impressed I didn't sniff you out earlier." The guy in the hoodie said as he silently approached me. I was finally able to look directly into his surpisingly young face. He looked to be my age.

"Look man, we don't want any trouble." Sean's voice was surpisingly calm.

Kevin snarled ready to kill us. He pointed his gun at my forehead, and I raised by hands up in surrender.

Hoodie guy silently assessed me before he shrugged. "Let them go Kevin, he looks weak." I almost growled at the insult.

"But Spencer, Tyler said-"

"I don't care what Tyler says. I don't kill fellow rogues without a good reason." Kevin begrudgingly lowered his gun. "Let's go, we're already late as it is. We wouldn't want to keep his royal sunshine waiting."

I sighed in relief when they left, but I couldn't shake the feeling that this was not the last time I would see them.