Chapter 21

After my shower, I walked towards Jade's room. My heart beat accelerated as I thought about the different scenarios about our encounter.

What should I say first? Hey Jade, I realized I was an asshole so now I want to- no that's terrible. How about...Jade I'm sorry I changed you for another- wait no that sounds worse.

I paused in front of Jade's door and knocked loudly. I tried to control my breathing and erratic heartbeat. I didn't want her to realize just how nervous I really am.

I saw the door knob turning, and I frowned as Mason opened it. He was drying his hair as he stared at me. He allowed the towel to drop on his shoulders.

"What are you doing here?" I asked trying to remain calm and collected. Mason smirked, indicating that he knew what I really felt. He leaned against the door frame.

"What does it matter?" His tone was nonchalant.

"It matters to me. Now back off," I answered, but he didn't move.

"Who's at the door?" Jade asked as she appeared at the doorway. She remained expressionless when she saw me.

"Jade can I talk to you alone?" I asked her through clenched teeth.

She inclined her head in agreement. I would have been satisfied if Mason hadn't kept that arrogant smirk.

As soon as Mason disappeared  down the corridor, she walked inside her room. I followed her. She sat in her bed and looked at me uninterestingly.

"What was Mason doing in here?" I asked her as I bit the inside of my lip. I didn't want to argue.

"What does it matter?" my hands formed into a fist with her answer.

"It matters because you're my mate," Jade snorted as I mentally scowled. At times, she was very much like Mason.

"You are not my mate," Jade answered as she turned her back on me.

Well I deserved that, but I wouldn't let it stop me.

"Look I'm sorry. I was a jerk to you and I really shouldn't have said such cruel things to you. I was confused about everything because it was all new to me, and it frustrated me. I took it all out on you."

She didn't answer, but I could tell that she was listening.

"I regret it Jade, I really do, please look at me." Jade turned to face me, and I winced at her carefully guarded expression. "Lexi-"

She tensed, and I I mentally panicked. Perhaps saying her name wasn't wise, but I couldn't dance around it.

"Lexi was never meant for me, but you are. She didn't and wouldn't understand me. It wasn't meant to last, but we are mates. We were made for each other. And I promise that I will never hurt you again" Jade's eyes narrowed as she stood up.

"Your relationship didn't work out, so now you're running back to me. And you thought that I would just welcome you with open arms?"

I winced, maybe that came out wrong.  I was about to answer, but she spoke again.

"Are you done yet? Your excuses tire me."

"Jade, I really care about you, and I mean it. I have regretted my words ever since I left. I didn't understand just how much I had lost that day. I didn't understand the implications of my words. Mate...can we start over?"

Jade looked down and sighed. She opened her mouth to speak, but a sudden scream interrupted us. Jade and I looked at each other in shock.

She immediately took off running, and I ran with her outside. I was dying to know what she was going to say, but it could wait.