The First Game

Storm

We're about to go out onto the ice for our first game of the season. It's our last season as hockey players here at Harvard which means we have to make it count. Most of us want to go into the NHL after we graduate so we have to have a perfect season to make that happen. Coach just gave us our pre game speech, then Jack and I both shared a few words. As we head out to warm up, the adrenaline from the crowd always pumps us up. I look up into the stands and love seeing all of the Crimson and smiling faces. I spot Kenzie and Fey right behind our penalty box and my heart swoons when I notice their wearing both mine and Jack's jerseys.

She looks beautiful with her hair all curled, a black beanie and my jersey from last year. How did I get so lucky with her? She's fucking amazing in every possible and sometimes when we're together I feel like I'm in some sort of dream. It's like she walked straight out of my dreams, and I still feel like I don't completely deserve her and all the happiness she brings to my life. But, what I am sure of is I will try every single day to be the kind of guy that does deserve her love.

We haven't sad it yet, but I knew from the moment I saw her at the coffee shop. Even when I fought it, I always knew that I was going to fall in love with her. She's that kind of girl where it's hard not to with how funny, sweet, smart and fun she is. She's the perfect mixture of it all with a great head on her shoulders and bright future. Our goals and aspirations align pretty well and I hope after graduation if/when I get drafted she would want to follow me wherever it takes us.

I skate around with the guys, stretching and then hitting some pucks into the net. We're playing against the Eagles tonight from Boston College which means we get to see Reid and the asshole who tried to force himself on Feyre. The thought alone makes me want to crack his skull on the ice but that wouldn't do good for anyone. So, instead I channel that anger into winning and making sure I keep focused and play my best.

I start the game at face off and I'm up against Reid. He has a wary look on his face that he tries to hide with intimidation but he knows that won't work on me. The tension on the ice is so thick you could cut it with a pair of scissors. Jack scores the first goal and the crowd goes wild, but then end up scoring shortly after us. When I watch Colt get the puck I immediately charge him, slamming him into the glass hard and almost get put into the penalty box.

Jack and the guys pat my shoulder because they know he deserved it. The game is back and forth, but by the half way point we're up by two goals. Coach calls me off the ice and I take a seat to catch my breath. I drink some water and look over at Fey who waves at me, I blow her a kiss and then watch the ice. By the time I'm put back in it's the last period and we're now tied. I'm exhausted along with the rest of the team but the moment Colt steps back onto the ice it all fades away. He comes at me when I have the puck but my defenders shove him away.

I skate to the other end and make the winning goal as the buzzer goes off and the crowd erupts into cheers. The guys crowd around me and we all celebrate our first win of the season. I look back and see both Fey and Kenzie clapping and cheering for us. Jack pats the back of my helmet and eventually we line up to shake hands with the other team. I pull my hand away and skip on Colt because fuck that guy and luckily none of the coaches notice or I could get in trouble.

The team heads back to the locker rooms where we all drink water, shower and decompress. I head to my locker after I shower and start putting on my sweats, shirt and hoodie. There's nothing I like more after a game or practice than to put on some comfy ass clothes. Jack takes a seat next to me as I tie my Vans and laughs "Always with the damn sweats" he says jokingly.

"Fuck off man, I choose comfort over looking good. Plus I already have a girl so I have absolutely no one impress and last time I checked you do to..." he laughs even harder.