My Water Broke

Storm

I'm pacing the hallway back and forth trying to remain calm. I don't want to think the worse but I can't help it, because the second the doctor shouted to clear the room when the monitors started to beep rapidly, I knew that something was wrong. Saylor and I were told to leave the room and she was rushed into a surgery room on another floor for an emergency C-section. I've been pacing the hallway while Saylor, Cassius, Greyson , Kenzie and Jack all wait patiently in original hospital room. Tears keep streaming down my face because I'm terrified of losing them.

"Storm!" I hear my mom's voice and I turn around to see her and Noel rushing down the long hallway towards me.

"Mom" I say as my voice breaks and I almost fall into her warm embrace.

Noel hugs me from the side, they have no idea how badly I needed this. They hopped on the first plane they could when I called them yesterday, telling them that her water broke. They flew through the night on a red eye and now here they are and it relieves a small part of me. Saylor walks out of the room and smiles as she walks over to us.

"You must be Leslie, it's nice to finally meet you" the two of them hug "And you're Noel?" she hugs my sister next.

Cassius walks out next and he introduces himself and then takes my mom to the cafeteria to grab some coffee. Noel comes with me into the hospital room with Saylor where she meets Greyson, Kenzie and Jack. I feel like Feyre's been in surgery for hours and it's killing me. I hear doors open and a doctor walks through calling for me, I've never run so fast in my life.

"Here, I'm Storm Doc" I can't read his expression to know what's going on or gage how serious things still might be.

Saylor rushes over to us "What's going on?" she asks frantically "Is she okay? Is the baby okay?" we're both eager to find out any information that we can.

He gives us both a solemn look "The baby couldn't fit through the birthing canal, it was too narrow and got stuck. We rushed her into a cesarean because it was the only shot we had to get him out safely with less complications. We got the baby out and he's perfectly healthy, Feyre lost a lot of blood so we had to do a blood transfusion and she's resting now"

Saylor holds onto me and we both look at each other in relief "So, she's okay?" I ask.

He nods "Yes, she's okay now. Nurses will bring her back into the room and she'll need to get plenty of rest. They will also bring him back so you can meet your son" he pats my shoulder.

Saylor and I hug each other tightly as tears pour down both of faces "She's okay" she says as we pull apart and I nod.

We walk back to the room and she shares the news with everyone. Minutes later she's brought into the room and they hook her up to the machines properly. She's asleep, so I lean over and kiss her softly "You did baby" I whisper in her ear and squeeze her hand tenderly.

Next our baby is brought in and the nurse hands him to me. She shows me how to hold him properly and I look down in complete and utter shock, because he's perfect. He looks up at me with the biggest, bluest eyes I've ever seen and thick dark lashes. He smiles and wraps a tiny hand around my index finger as I walk around, bouncing him.

Everyone takes a moment to come over and meet him. Cassius and Asher who got her right before my mom walks over "You both did a great job son" I smile at him because that's the first time he's ever called me son before.

"Thank you" I take my time holding the baby and then Saylor gets him next.

My mom and Noel wait patiently as Saylor walks over and sits next to them. I take my chair at Feyre's side, holding onto her hand right as a nurse walks over with his birth certificate "Please fill this out as soon as you can" she says with urgency.

I nod "Okay" I say and look over at Fey who's asleep.

We're supposed to do this together, choose his name and sign ours. Now it's up to me and I panic because what if I pick the wrong one and she hates me. I sign and print my name where I'm supposed to and then I write hers, but she still has to put her signature on it. As the panic seriously starts to set in I feel her move next to me "Storm" she says under her breath.

I look over as her eyes flutter open "Hey baby, it's me" it takes her a moment to come to.

"Is he okay? The baby" I nod and lean over, kissing her temple.

"He's perfect baby.... he's beautiful just like you" my mom walks over with him in her arms and Fey starts tearing up.

"Can I hold him?" my mom gently rests him in her arms and she flinches a little but adjusts herself.

"Oh my god... he's.... he is perfect" she looks at me full of love and emotion.

A nurse walks over and we step away so she can show her how to breastfeed him. Everyone clears the room. Jack takes Grey and Kenzie home to get some rest and shower. My mom and Noel head to their hotel along with Asher and Stacey, Saylor and Cassius eventually take off to give us some alone time.

As he feeds I bring the tray over with the birth certificate "It's time to choose a name" I say and she takes the pen and fills in her signature.

She looks down at him "Rowan" she says and looks at me with a grin.

"I love it baby" I write in Rowan Drew Knight.

He feeds for a while and afterwards the nurse shows us both how to properly burp him to ensure he gets all of his gas out. Because Fey is going to need time to recover, I'm going to have to step up over the next few months since she won't be very mobile. So, this time I burp him and then change his diaper when he has his first poop. I sit in a chair next to Fey and rock him to sleep while she gets some much needed rest. My mom and Noel come back later in the evening, they brings us dinner and I let Noel hold him while he sleeps.

My mom and Fey talk as we all eat "This is so much better than hospital food, thank you so much" she says.

"Trust me I know... I knew you needed something tasty after bringing life into this world" I sit back in my chair and watch the three of them.

I smile to myself because these are the three most amazing and important woman in my life. They are also some of the strongest and biggest pain in my ass but that comes with the territory I guess. I stare at the small baby resting in Noel's arms and it still hasn't hit me that I'm a dad now. For the next eighteen or so years this little guy is my responsibility to teach him how to be a man, a good man. It feels like the weight of the world on my shoulders but I know that with time things will get a little easier. I've read plenty of books and even listened to a couple podcasts.

Our lives are about to change for better and worse. Being a parent is no joke, you literally sacrifice yourself to make sure they are taken care of. It's no longer just about Fey and I, but now we have this innocent little guy that will need us more than anything. I think back to some of my fondest memories with my dad and know that I hope to be half the father that he was to me. Luckily this guy not only has me but he has two uncles and two grandpa's to look up to.

He is already one of the most loved babies and he doesn't even know it yet. I'm blessed to not only have my family, but Feyre's too who are all willing to help as much as they can. They flew out here two days before her water broke because they wanted to be here when it happened regardless of how long that took. Lucky for us it broke on her due date, which is rare with your first one or that's what we've been told.

Noel and my mom take off around nine, Fey sleeps while Rowan does and I sit back and in the bed they brought in for me and watch some TV. I have a feeling this is the last quiet and peaceful night that we'll have for a while. I know I should also be trying to get some sleep but my adrenaline is pumping and my mind is racing which means there's no way I could fall asleep right now. I grab some snacks from the vending machine down the hallway and take a short walk through the nursery before walking back to the room.

I quietly munch on the snacks and drink my soda. Eventually I fall asleep but end up waking up shortly later to Rowan crying. Feyre instantly wakes up and I hand him to her so he can eat. When he's finished she burps him and I change his diaper before trying to rock him back to sleep. I end up pacing the room and then the hallway until he falls back asleep. I lay him on Fey's chest and he sleeps peacefully with her. I hold onto her hand and my heart feels full.

These two... they're my entire world.