chapter five, mirroring

— chapter five, mirroring!

          "YOU'RE PLANNING SOMETHING. I've seen that look in your eyes before," Bowie declared, stepping off their skateboard after a very elegant landing at the top of the bowl.

          "What?" Robby's green eyes snapped in the direction of Bowie's face from where they had been fixated on the floor. "I'm not planning anything."

Eyebrows quirking upwards, Bowie flopped down, taking a seat next to Robby, their arms brushing as he did.

          "Try that one again," they instructed, placing their chin on Robby's shoulder and blinking up at the boy with big brown eyes.

          "Okay, fine," Robby sighed, turning to look at Bowie and headbutting them playfully. "I'm gonna get a job at LaRusso Auto."

          "I'm not following," the curly haired boy stated, leaning back on his elbows and dragging his skateboard over with his foot, rocking it back and forth.

          "LaRusso Auto? You know, the car place run by the guy my dad hates."

Bowie cocked an eyebrow at Robby sarcastically.

          "No, dipshit. I know what LaRusso Auto is. I'm just confused as to why you suddenly want to become a car salesman."

          "I don't." There was a glint in Robby's green eyes that Bowie had seen before and had never liked the look of.

          "Look, I saw my dad the other day, okay. He was being all, fatherly and shit with this random kid, and it pissed me off. So I figured I might as well get my own back, and what better way to piss him off than by working for the guy who he claims 'ruined his life'."

Bowie's mind was working overtime as they tried to piece together what Robby was telling them, accompanied by their own knowledge of what Johnny Lawrence was up to these days. From the way Bowie glanced down at his beaten Converse, kicking at the ledge of the bowl, Robby could tell he was waiting to say something.

          "What is it?"

The curly haired boy sighed softly, wetting his lips before speaking.

          "What did this kid look like? The one you saw Johnny with?"

           "Uh, about our age. Dark hair. Braces. Too tanned to be a secret baby of his."

          "Were they talking about karate?"

Bowie knew who the kid was without Robby even having to nod.

          "His name's Miguel. He's a new kid at West Valley High, and your dad's number one karate student."

Robby scowled, pushing his long blonde hair from his face with the hand he wasn't leaning on.

          "He seems like a pretty nice kid, though," Bowie tried, grimacing as they watched Robby's frustration grow, realising too late that probably wasn't the right thing to say.