chapter ten, anticipate

— chapter ten, anticipate!

BOWIE WOULD BE lying if he said he wasn't anxious about the All Valley tournament. Red Tigers Karate were some of the first to check in that morning, along with Robby, who had decided to fight unaffiliated despite Sensei Blakeway offering to let him fight for his dojo. In the backrooms, Robby paced nervously whilst Bowie went over techniques with some of the other kids.

"Kick off your front leg," he directed Flynn. "Makes it faster and harder to anticipate."

The younger boy nodded, throwing a kick at Bowie which landed nicely.

"There you go. Much better. Feeling ready?"

"Yeah," Flynn hopped on the balls of his feet before throwing another kick. "Thanks, Bowie."

Leaving the boy to train with Amy and Mason, Bowie wandered over to where Robby was distractedly stretching, watching the crowds start to file in. His face was stony and he kept redoing his ponytail whenever a strand of hair fell out the front.

"C'mere," Bowie sighed, taking the hair tie from Robby's hand and running his fingers through the boy's long hair.

"You're nervous."

"A little," Robby's mouth twitched as he lied.

Pulling his hair back, Bowie fastened the ponytail for Robby, who gave a quiet thanks.

"Show me a side kick." They lifted their guard, looking at Robby expectantly. Sighing, he threw the kick, landing it neatly against Bowie's ribs.

"Again."

Robby repeated the kick a few times until his nerves steadied slightly. He inhaled sharply, watching Bowie as they retied their belt and straightened their gi.

"How do you do this?" he asked. "Be so, calm about this all?"

"Practise," Bowie shrugged. "It's almost time to get out there. You ready?"

"Almost." Robby smiled smally, walking over to his best friend and wrapping his arms around them. Bowie was somewhat surprised, but hugged him back warmly all the same.

"Thank you for coaching me. And for believing in me." His voice was muffled by Bowie's shoulder.

"Any time, Keene. Now let's go kick ass. And pray you don't have to compete against me."

"I think I could give you a run for your money, former champ," Robby grinned as he pulled away.

"Maybe next year," Bowie smirked. "And hey, I'm still the champ until someone else wins."

The opening announcements started echoing into the backrooms, causing the boys to look between each other and the doorway in anticipation. Sensei Blakeway lined the students up with Bowie up front, tapping his foot impatiently as other karate clubs were called.