chapter seventeen, volcano

—chapter seventeen, volcano!

THE NEXT DAY IN THE Valley was, for lack of better vocabulary, fucking warm, desipte how Mr LaRusso chastised Bowie's language with the shake of his head and a slight laugh. The Miyagi-Do students were lounging around under the shade of one of the bigger trees of the dojo, sweating something fierce.

          "Oh, God. It's so hot out. I'm sweating in places I didn't even know I had pores," Demetri whined, resting his head against Sam's shoulder momentarily before dropping it forward to Bowie's, who was sitting in front of him, and wiping the damp of his hairline there. Bowie grimaced, but allowed him to keep his head there, the red of the blush doing nothing in comparison to the sunburn on his pale cheeks.

          "Gross, Dem," they laughed softly despite feeling the same, shrugging at the fabric of their blue tank top to increase the circulation of air. Sam wiped one of her hands down Bowie's arm, and despite the grossness of the gesture, they didn't object to the intimacy of their new friends.

Mr LaRusso came out from the indoor dojo, looking slightly more weary than usual, but still way too enthusiastic for the extreme temperatures they were dealing with.

          "All right, guys. Get out from under that tree. It's time to get to work."

They all groaned unhappily, yet Robby was the first to stand, offering his hand to help Bowie up, and consequently Demetri, who remained flopped against their shoulder.

          "Hey, Mr LaRusso, it's like a hundred degrees out. Can't we take it easy today?" Robby requested, earning the shake of a head in return.

          "Are you kidding? This heat wave is a gift. Today, you are going to experience Shochu-Geiko."

          "Like the car insurance?" Chris asked.

          "Summer training," Bowie sighed as Mr LaRusso nodded, smiling.

          "Shochu-Geiko is a Japanese exercise where you train during the hottest days of the year. It's about pushing yourself to your limit. The fight isn't always gonna come when it's seventy five degrees and breezy."

          "I'd argue that seventy five degrees isn't breezy at all but maybe I'm just a winter child," the curly haired boy countered, earning a miserable laugh from the others, all sticky, warm and exhausted.

          "Yeah, aren't we supposed to avoid fighting?" Sam added in.

          "Sometimes you can't," Mr LaRusso answered. "Someday, the fight may come to you. And I wanna make sure you're ready. So today, we're gonna see what Miyagi-Do is made of. Grab yourself some water and gather round the front. Let's see how well you like this."

The students begrudgingly followed Mr LaRusso out to the space at the front of the dojo, where they gathered in a circle as instructed.

          "I need a volunteer," Mr LaRusso called, and Robby stepped forwards, removing his shirt which was met with raised eyebrows across the circle between Demetri and Bowie, though neither said anything.