chapter fifteen, beginnings and endings

— chapter fifteen, beginnings and endings!

          "OH-HO-HO, SWEET MANBUN," Sam laughed, handing Robby's licence back to him. The two plus Bowie were sitting around a table in the food court, waiting for Demetri to collect his food. It had initially been a post-training Miyagi-Do outing, but Bowie had arrived to pick up Robby, and was consequently invited along.

          "I told you it was a horrible picture," Robby laughed.

          "If we were friends at the time, I could've warned you this was a fad," Sam grinned.

          "I told him it was a horrible idea at the time," Bowie shrugged, taking a bite from their burger. "He just didn't listen."

Robby stole a handful of fries from Bowie, despite having a plateful of his own, and rested his chin on his hand.

          "Yeah, well, I'm stuck with it for five years, so no biggie, right?"

          "Wait," Sam's eyes widened. "'Robert Swayze Keene'?"

Bowie snorted with laughter.

          "Your name is literally Bowie David, and my middle name is still the most amusing thing that's ever passed through your mind, huh?" Robby elbowed him playfully as Sam's face lit up even more.

          "Your names are Robert Swayze and Bowie David? What sort of eighties time trap is this?"

          "Technically, my name is Bowden David," Bowie corrected. "My mom- she was a big music fan. My dad, not so much. He was furious when he found out she named my brother Freddie Mercury."

Sam's smile twitched sympathetically at the mention of Bowie's mom– something Robby probably mentioned to her during their movie night the other day, not that he minded.

          "My mom was a huge fan of Patrick Swayze. He was an actor in the eighties," Robby explained.

          "Yeah, like I haven't seen Dirty Dancing like, a hundred times," the girl scoffed.

          "I guarantee Robby's seen it more," Bowie quipped, earning himself a playful eye roll.

          "My mom made me watch it all the time."

          "Made you?" Sam questioned, and spotting Bowie's raised eyebrows matching hers, Robby caved with a laugh.

          "Okay, maybe I liked it."

          "I'm more partial to his performance in Donnie Darko," Demetri added, dropping his food down on the table unceremoniously and sitting down opposite Bowie. "Interesting movie. Time travel logic left a lot to be desired."

Bowie rolled their eyes affectionately. Sam caught it.

          "Wait, is today Wednesday?" Demetri asked suddenly. When the trio agreed, he fired back out of his chair enthusiastically, tucking it under the table. "The new issue of Dungeon Lord came out. Uhm, do you guys want anything from the comic book store?"