chapter eight, dual wielding

— chapter eight, dual wielding!

BOWIE WAS MORE than surprised to wake up one morning to a text from Demetri on his phone, asking if he wanted to join him and some others at the park today. As well as they got along with Demetri, and even Hawk, they had never hung out with them outside of school. The only people Bowie ever tended to interact with outside of school were the people at his karate dojo and, of course, Robby.

The boy was somewhat nervous, sticking his hands in the pockets of his jeans as he approached Demetri, along with Miguel and Aisha, sitting on a bench in the park. Hawk was there, too; a little further away on the grass, practising kicks against, who Bowie assumed to be, another Cobra Kai student.

          "Bowie, hey!" Demetri spied the curly haired boy, gesturing for him to hurry over. "Please tell Miguel that he'll feel better after he eats something. It's scientifically proven!"

Miguel, who was looking pretty forlorn, smiled at Bowie smally before brushing Demetri off.

          "I told you, I'm not hungry."

          "I still think you're overreacting," Demetri commented, sighing in defeat.

          "I'm not overreacting, dude!" Miguel insisted, lowering his tone when he noticed Bowie's confused expression, and moving over to allow him to sit between him and Demetri, which he accepted graciously.

          "I saw Sam having a guy over for family dinner the other night, and she still won't invite me over to meet her dad."

Bowie's eyebrows shot up, remembering how Robby had told them he was having dinner with the LaRusso's a few nights ago, but he chose not to comment, instead letting Demetri continue to argue over them. They also pieced together that Miguel and Sam must be dating, which made sense from what they'd seen of them around school.

          "Alright, so you saw her eating dinner with some chode. It's probably just her brother or something," Hawk chimed in after taking out the considerably smaller child he was fighting with a roundhouse kick. It still baffled Bowie how much the once quiet and anxious boy had changed over the last few months, and he even had to stifle a laugh at Hawk's insulting description of Robby, who he didn't even know, and who clearly none of them had figured out that Bowie knew.

          "No, dude. Brothers don't look at their sisters like that," Miguel argued with Hawk, who walked over to the bench and gave Bowie a fist bump; a gesture that made Bowie and Demetri raise their eyebrows at each other.

          "Depends what part of the country you're in," Demetri deadpanned at Miguel's comment, causing Bowie to chuckle.

Miguel shook his head: "Look, I just don't want what happened to Sensei to happen to me."

          "What happened to, uhm, your Sensei?" the curly haired boy cut in, confused as he watched Aisha, Demetri and Hawk all nod along understandingly.