chapter nine, icarus

— chapter nine, icarus!

AS SOON AS Aisha dropped them back home, Bowie locked themself away in their room to call Robby. He had initially intended to bombard him with questions as to whether he was okay, whether Sam was okay, and how on earth he had ended up at a West Valley party with Sam LaRusso in the first place, but when Robby picked up after one ring and greeted Bowie with a shaky voice, he held off.

"Rob, are you okay?"

"I think," Robby swallowed thickly over the call. "I think I may have messed up a little."

"What do you mean?" Worry laced Bowie's voice.

"When Sam and I got back, she stormed upstairs, so I waited for Mr LaRusso in the dojo. I figured it was best I told him who my dad was then, since everyone keeps reminding me how much he hates him. Well, I didn't even get the chance to, because when Mr LaRusso walked in, he was with my dad. Shit kind of kicked off, and he didn't even let me explain."

"Are you hurt, Robby?" Bowie checked, beyond relieved when Robby assured him he wasn't. "Where are you?"

"I'm skating back from the far side of Encino," the boy answered.

Picking up a jacket from the pile of clothes on the chair in the corner of his bedroom, Bowie practically slammed the door behind him, having not even taken his shoes off since walking through the door.

"Rob, I'm coming to pick you up," they insisted, crossing the kitchen to grab the car keys that remained on the hook. The car still left on the driveway had belonged to Bowie's mother many years ago, and was the car Bowie had learnt to drive in, but he didn't drive it often. Gas was expensive, and he didn't mind skating most places, but it was close to midnight and the breeze was cold, and an emotional Robby attempting to skateboard all the way back to North Hills felt like a terrible idea.

Robby didn't even try to argue with Bowie or deter them from driving out to get him. Instead, he simply thanked his best friend, and stayed on the phone in silence as Bowie drove to collect him.

When he climbed in the car, Robby was shivering silently, his eyes wide and seemingly unsure of what to feel. Bowie unbuckled his seatbelt, leaning across the gearbox to pull Robby into his arms. The boy accepted the hug graciously, his head tucked under Bowie's chin as he just held on for a moment, trying not to think about anything else.

"I think you may have flown too close to the sun, Keene," Bowie breathed, the hand that was wrapped around Robby's shoulders toying with one of the long strands of his hair.

"You think?" Robby sniffed, but it was accompanied by gentle laughter.

Bowie went to release the boy from his arms, but Robby held on just a few seconds longer before pulling away. His green eyes held Bowie's for a long while.