chapter six, begin

— chapter six, begin!

BOWIE'S LEGS ACHED and his arms threatened to drop, but he maintained his stance, eyeing up his opponent and attempting to read them and anticipate their next move. Sure enough, Flynn stepped forward, preparing to throw a roundhouse kick, which Bowie deflected with his forearms before throwing a reverse punch that landed with a satisfying thud.

          "Point, Woods!" Sensei Blakeway called, ending the match 3-2 to Bowie. "Go get yourselves a drink."

After giving Flynn a fist bump, Bowie made his way over to the drinks table and gulped down atleast half of his water bottle, panting. The annual All Valley tournament was only a couple of months away, meaning Sensei had upped their training into overtime, and as consequence, Bowie ached everywhere.

Due to the seemingly unfair 'winner stays on' rule, Bowie was back on the mat thirty seconds later, facing off against an orange belt named Elspeth. Already dreading the fight against the best under eighteen's fighter Red Tigers Karate Club had, Elspeth sighed, neatening up the poofs in her hair before grinning at Bowie.

          "Go easy on me, will you? Not all of us have the ability to kick someone and make it look so agile."

Bowie laughed lightly, fist bumping the girl before 'hajime' was called from the side of the mat and the fight began. Bowie dodged the first two punches the girl threw, struggling to keep his focus watching Flynn begin to run through kata with the other students.

Nearly losing their balance, Bowie exhaled heavily to ground their focus before throwing a thrust kick that landed, pushing the girl back.

          "Point!" Sensei Blakeway exclaimed from the side of the mat, smiling at Bowie who hopped on his feet, panting and exhausted but equally excited to be back fighting at the tournament again.

Bowie was sweating profusely when he stepped out of the dojo into the LA springtime, slinging his hoodie over his shoulder. Robby stood across the parking lot, leaning against a lamppost, and gave a small wave to Sensei Matt, Flynn, and the other kids that he recognised.

An idea forming in his head, Bowie jogged over to Robby, throwing his hoodie and bag to the floor before wrapping his arms around Robby eagerly, rubbing his hairline against the boy's jaw whilst he squirmed.

          "Bowie, you're fucking disgusting. You are so sweaty, and you stink."

          "Love you, too," Bowie breathed, squeezing Robby's ribs tight before releasing him so he could attempt to wipe Bowie's sweat off his skin with a grimace.

          "Ew, PDA," Flynn called across the parking lot, causing Bowie and Robby to flip him off in sync. The younger boy grinned at the two, laughing as some of the other kids joined it, whistling playfully at their flirting.