chapter eighteen, realign

— chapter eighteen, realign!

THE DOJO WAS STILL EMPTY when Bowie rocked up the next morning, tired and aching and still a little in shock. Mr LaRusso was there alone, turning over the soil around the plants along the fence, when he spotted him.

          "Bowie, hey." He stood up and dusted the soil from his hands off on his joggers. "Are you alright? You're looking a little worse for wear there."

He swallowed thickly before nodding.

          "Yeah, just a rough night. Sorry I'm a little early. And a little unprepared." They gestured towards their lack of training clothes, having with them only what they left the house in last night.

          "It's no worries," Mr LaRusso smiled kindly. "Come with me to my car. I think I have some spare clothes that you can train in. They might be a little short on the ankles, I'm afraid."

          "Thank you, Mr LaRusso." Bowie tried for a smile, following the man to his car where he handed him some shorts and a t-shirt.

          "You're welcome to go change in the dojo. The others will be arriving soon, and Sam and Robby are somewhere, though I'm not sure where. If you need anything else, give me a shout."

          "Thank you, again," Bowie nodded as Mr LaRusso jogged off to greet the other students that were arriving, biting his lip as he headed into the dojo.

He may have not entirely had his wits about him, but the last thing Bowie expected to see when he opened the sliding door was Robby and Sam with their tongues in each other's mouths.

          "Oh, shit," he gasped, fumbling to close the door quickly before anyone else could see.

          "Bowie, jeez, hi." Robby gave a sheepish grin as Sam turned red next to him.

          "Fuck, I'm sorry. Mr LaRusso sent me in here to get changed. I didn't know you guys were here, doing that. I imagine he doesn't know either."

Sam shook her head adamantly.

          "Please don't tell him."

          "I won't." Bowie tried for a small smile. "I would like to get changed though, if that's okay."

Coughing a little, Robby stood up, offering his hand to Sam.

          "You okay, Bowe?" Robby asked him, their shoulders brushing on his way past. "You seem a little shaken. I didn't mean to scar you like that."

Bowie tried to match Robby's laughter, but it sounded hoarse.

          "No, all good. Just tired."

          "You not sleep well?" Robby's eyebrows furrowed in concern, catching on to the half truth his best friend was telling him.

          "Something like that."