chapter twelve, presage

— chapter twelve, presage!

chapter twelve, presage!

THE TWO BOYS had hardly seen each other over the last two weeks, due to Robby's busy training schedule with Mr LaRusso and Bowie's non-stop attendance at Red Tigers, both to make up for his loss at the All Valley and to try make up the dues that were missing from the lack of new students, so they were both excited to spend the evening together in Robby's apartment. Shannon hadn't been home for days, Robby informed his best friend, so it was just the two of them, one upping each other at video games and reading shitty horror stories.

For the first time in as long as Bowie could remember, which left a hollow feeling in his chest that he couldn't quite place, the two fell asleep on opposite couches, crashing pretty soon into the night out of sheer exhaustion. Robby passed out first, leaving Bowie to chase the sound of his breathing, his eyes running over and over the boy's hand, dangling over the side of the couch.

The clattering of drawers and cupboards woke the two, who locked eyes in the light let in by the open door, before Robby swung his legs to the floor.

A voice came from the doorway: "Come on, get the stuff and let's get out of here."

Still not entirely awake, Bowie's heart was in his throat, though the irony of robbing two teenage boys in a practically deserted flat didn't escape them. Eyes widening, Bowie watched Robby creep forwards, encroaching on the stranger who was eager to flee from the apartment. They bit back the urge to hiss at Robby to pull back, but before they could reach for him, Robby had swung himself forward, propelling himself over the countertop and kicking the man into the one opposite.

"Robby!" Bowie was by his side in a second, fists balled and chest heaving as the man coughed, clutching his chest. The lights were flicked on, and Shannon rushed forwards to help the man from the floor, causing Bowie's face to pinch in confusion.

"Robby, what is wrong with you?" Shannon snapped.

"What's wrong with me? You haven't been here in days. I thought someone broke in!"

"Okay." The woman took a deep breath as the man steadied himself, looking between Robby and Bowie angrily. "Okay, okay. I'm sorry. I just came to grab a few things, uhm, 'cause, uh, Rick is flying me to Cabo."

"Cabo-adjacent," Rick corrected, somewhat proudly, causing Bowie to snort.

"Wait, you're going to Mexico?" Robby's eyebrows furrowed. "With this guy? For how long? I mean, we have rent to pay, and I don't have-"

"Don't worry about that because, Rick, you're paying this month, right?"

Rick didn't look so convinced, despite his statement: "I got you, pal."

Bowie's eyes caught the bottles of pills Shannon filtered into her bag.

"When are you coming back?" Robby's chin shook.