chapter thirteen, mediate

— chapter thirteen, mediate!

chapter thirteen, mediate!

BOWIE WOKE THE next morning to another text from Demetri on his phone. His mood was still solemn, but his car was still in the driveway, so that's how he ended up at the beach that afternoon, in a tame game of volleyball with Demetri and Hawk.

"Uh... Mulligan, send it back," Demetri called sheepishly after hitting the net, earning a scoff from the blue haired boy opposite him.

"There's no mulligans in volleyball."

"Says you," Demetri played off, handing the ball to Bowie and ducking out of the game for a water break, which the other boys followed.

The dark haired boy wiped the sweat from his face with a Cobra Kai towel that made Bowie cock an eyebrow, which caught the attention of some girls passing by.

"Cobra Kai? You guys won that karate tournament, right?"

He paused for a long moment, stammering as he looked between the girls and Bowie before managing a response: "Um... The All Valley? The Rumble in Reseda? Yes, uh, we certainly did."

"Cool," the dark haired girl grinned. "We're gonna go for a swim, but maybe play with you later?"

"Pfft, most def. Uh, that means 'most definitely'," Demetri managed in response, leaning awkwardly against the volleyball post and earning a laugh from the girls before they continued down the beach.

"You know no one has ever called it 'The Rumble in Reseda', right?" Bowie raised an eyebrow before grinning as Demetri blushed.

"Look at you, player," Moon joked as she walked up the sand, throwing Bowie a small wave.

"It'd be nice if you earned the Cobra Kai cred you're so happy to take," Hawk snapped unhappily. "When are you ever gonna sign up?"

"I don't know. I'm kind of enjoying the gain without the pain."

Before Hawk could retort with something else, Miguel arrived at the net, greeting the three of them.

"Hey, there's the man."

"What's up? Hey, Demetri. Hey, Bowie."

"No. No more of this," Hawk insisted, noticing the boy's sombre attitude. "Look, it's a beautiful day out. The beach is packed with babes. No more sulking about Sam."

"I'm not sulking about Sam," Miguel insisted. "It's about Sensei." He turned to look at Bowie. "You do know Sensei Lawrence, don't you?"

The curly haired boy swallowed thickly, rotating the volleyball between their fingers.

"Is this about his rap sheet?" Hawk asked. "My parents read it online. I think it makes him more badass."

Miguel shook his head tiredly, his eyes remaining on Bowie.