Chapter 3

"Mother" I called her in a timid voice while knocking on the door of her office.

"Come in"

I opened the door and walked in, stopping in front of her desk, where a pile of papers and books was.

"You called me?" I asked.

It has already been two days since the lunch episode and mother had done has she said, as soon as she finished eating, she left the table and started searching a teacher for me.

"Yes, i did" she smiled gently to me "Come here" she gestured to her side, i followed it and came beside her, my height just enough for me to read a few papers on the table.

Some had photos and a resume and others were works of people.

"Now" she picked me up and out me in her lap, i felt uncomfortable on being handle like that, but as i had the appereance of a 6 years old, it is normal for this to happen "I have a few people who have my aproval to teach you and have passed the interview, but i want you to take a look and chose the one you want to teach you"

Who the hell gives such responsibility to a 6 years old child?

Nonetheless, i glanced at the papers, readibg a few lines of each, until my eyes stopped at a name i reconized.

Linda Peterson

A common name, but it is precisely because of this, that one famous person uses it as his alias to roam around as he pleases.

Her real is Fiona Redsun, an 8th circle mage whose name is famous even acrossed the border. She has monstrous talent for magic, by the age of 20 she had reached a heigh that many didn't even think about reaching.

"Her" I point at her photo "I want her" I said again looking back at my mother.

Mother pick up her file, obviously, most of the information there was fake but it was good enough to pass as true.

"Hmm" Mother inspected her file for a while before putting it down and look at me "Alright, if that's what you want"

"Thanks, mom" I kissed her cheek before leaving her lap and going back to the library.

~~~~

"Argh! Huf, huf" I put my hands on my knees and took deep breaths, doing my best to calm down my racing heart.

"Not bad. Not bad at all" Linda or better Fiona said to me.

It has been a week since she first arrived, just a day after i asked mother for her to be my teacher.

We had just finished having a dual, which is basically the nicest term to receive a one-side beating.

What the hell is wrong with these people? Putting a 6 years old child fighting an adult with 25? Even more crazy was that i was only a 2nd circle facing an 8th circle mage!

Lucky for me, she was holding back, otherwise i would be dead the second the dual started.

"You managed to last half a minute against me" she said as if it was a praise, but coming from her it probably was "Well, it was better than the first time that's for sure" I lasted ten seconds on that one "I see you have already started casting while moving, but you seemed to have difficulties on doing both"

"Yhea, try casting a spell when there's a crazy lady trying to kill every moment" I glared at her, it was impression of mine or she flinched just now?

"Well... in a battle your opponent won't be giving you time to gather your mana and cast a spell" she defend herself.

"Who would fight against a 6 years old child?" I raised a brow to her, arms crossed and a foot beating on the ground, eating an answer i know she didn't have.

"Well, anyways" she changed the subjecte "You have to memorized the path that your mana follows when you are casting while training. That way, if you do it too many times, it will becone instinct and all you have to do is shouts or think about the name of the spell and your mana will reacted to it" she explained, entering what i call her teacher mode.

"I already know that" I said, rolling my eyes at her.

"Then why can't you do it?" she asked.

Honestly? Contrary to what others do, i just don't limit myself imitating the path that my mana follows, i want to know why it must be that path to that spell.

Since i started my lessons with her, all we did was cover knowledge that i already on the books or practicing what was on them.

It seemed no one in this world wanted magic to avance and were happy with the way it is.

But I'm not.

I want to know everything about magic and these things that are being told to me, i know them, i read them, studied them, not fully, but i started and that's more than the majority did.

"Because i don't want to do it" is my answer.

"Why not?" she asked, frowing in confusion and a little displeasure.

"I want to know why i need need to do it" I said.

"To survive" she deadpanned.

"I know that" I rolled my eyes at her "You're a mage, aren't you supposed to know why the mana must follow this path to cast a fire ball? Or why does it have to be fire ball? Sure it is easy to remember, but if you shout it out loud, won't your enemies know what to prepare against?" I asked, looking back at her "Can you answer these questions?"

She fell silent.

"You don't know, but I want to know that. I want to know discovers magic's secrets, all about it, from how does it work to where did it come from? Don't you want to know too?" I asked with raised brow.

"I..." she sighed "I do want to, but... many already tried and failed in the end" she said.

"That's because they are not me"

I don't know, but somehow i got the impression that she won't treat me like a child in the future.

She gazed intensely at me before sighing once again.

"Alright, but I'll help you and you need to pass all the information you gather to me so i can see if what you are doing is too dangerours for your level"

"Deal"