Chapter 4*

Chapter 4* Words in the wind

oOoOoOo

"Why didn't you answer any of my letters, Peter?"

"What letters?"

Silence.
Once again.

It was as if Peter and Lovia could never escape from it. There was simply too much unsaid. Too many secrets none of them thought they had carried.

"What letters, Lovia?" Peter pressed once again. He had a faint premonition of what was going on. As soon as she said the word letters. A cold shudder went through him as the possibilities of what she meant raced through his head. It couldn't be- She couldn't have-

"I wrote you letters, Peter." There. Lovia said it. The one thing that had burdened her heart for the majority of the past years. The burden of no sewer, uncertainty and sadness. All because of ink on paper.

Peter couldn't answer. He didn't know how. His brain simply couldn't comprehend what was happening. He stayed silent.

As Peter did not seem to have an answer for her, Lovia decided to continue. "I wrote many letters. In the beginning every week. Then every month. And after months without a reply I wrote on every year. Only once."

On your birthday.

The words were unsaid but Peter heard them anyway. Of course, he thought. Lovia had written him a letter on every of his birthdays that they shared together. No matter how much she knew. No matter if her parents helped her. Or if one was unable to read the crooked letter of ink. She always wrote the letter.

"Lovia-" Peter started, desperately trying to break his silence and answer Lovia in any way possible, however, he was interrupted.

"I simply want to know why, Peter. What kept you from writing back? Even if it was simply one word or a paper on which you stated that you didn't want my letters. I would've taken anything. No matter what. Just one answer. What kept you from giving it to me?" Tears were sparkling her eyes as Lovia kept rambling, letting all the silent questions in her head spill over the rim of her lips. The questions that she couldn't ask for the past years. The questions that were never answered.

"Lovia-" Peter started once again. And this time Lovia was not able to interrupt. "I hate to have to say this right now. And I cannot bear the thought of this actually happening but I never got a letter. Not one. Not a single one of the letters. I did not get any. Nothing."

And looking up at him, Lovia knew that it was the truth. The shock in his eyes. The sadness and loss and the regret of something he didn't control. He did not get my letter, it broke down on her. He did not get the letters. He didn't get my letters. None of my letters. He didn't read my letters. He did not know I sent him letters.

As the tears started to spill from her eyes, Peter couldn't help but feel a little teardrop run down his check as well which he quickly knew to wipe away. This was so fucked up. It was an absolute mess. They both were.