19

"Are you gonna sit at the window all night and think about her?" James yawns, leaning against the headboard.

"What if she isn't lying?" Arles whispers softly.

"Pfftt! She is lying, okay. We've seen it ourselves." James rolls his eyes.

"I know what we've seen, but what if she's right. Doesn't Pariston look way too sweet to her?"

"That's how all husbands act, Arles. Why are you trusting her even after so many betrayals from her?" James snaps, his face turned up in disgust at the thought of Amber.

"Maybe we should dig in a little at things before assuming she is wrong." Arles sighs.

"We're not assuming anything. We both have seen what a bitch she really is. You desperately want her, despite the shit she has done, right?" James raises an eyebrow at him.

Arles turns away, letting out a little sigh before he leans against the window sill, looking out aimlessly.

"She doesn't give two fucks about you, bud. Why are you so upset over a girl who is easily replaceable? She's nothing special." James huffs, as he organizes the pillows on the bed.

"You used to be so strong and ruthless, I loved that version of you. She's changed you Arles, for worse."

Arles ignores his rant, and keeps gazing outside. His eyes slowly crept to the window of Amber's room. The servant quarters was away from the Hemsworth villa, but he couldn't help staring at her window.

Is she crying?
Is she sound asleep?
Is she romancing with her husband?
Ugly thoughts raced around his mind that made his heart hurt.

He turned around, looking at James who was snuggling into the pillows.

"You know it's time you let go of that chick and concentrate on work. Pariston has fucked us up by putting us with that witch. We should've been working in his office where we could get the information easily, not protecting that brat." James huffs.

"The only way into getting in Pariston's work space is making him believe that we're good at our job. He might promote us to being his guards if we do something to please him." James babbles.

"Yeah, Ambrose is anxiously waiting for some feedback." Arles pulls the curtains, turning back to James.

"You got a plan?" James questions.

"Kinda. If Amber is attacked and we save her, then we will look reliable to him." Arles shrugs.

"Yeah! Or . . .or that little brat can die. And since the one we're protecting will be no more, he'll give us a new job." James smiles.

"James, no! Amber is not getting hurt in this. Our rivalry is with Pariston, don't bring the women into this." Arles snaps, pulling a towel from the couch.

He lazily throws it over his shoulder, throwing his head back with a loud sigh.

"Talk to Ambrose and arrange some men. We don't have time." He gives James a snappy look before walking into the shower.

James huffs, looking at Arles' retreating figure.

"I told him she was bad news, he didn't listen to me. She has absolutely ruined my friend." He whispers to himself.

"Be prepared for tomorrow, little miss Amber, I'm gonna give you an experience of a lifetime."

-♡-

"Do I look good?" James grins at Arles.

"You're in a suspiciously delightful mood today. What happened?" Arles snaps at him.