21

"Is she dead?" James questions the nurse as she adjusts Amber's IV bag.

"She's unconscious, sir." The nurse answers him calmly.

"What are the chances of her dying?" he asks.

"Very low, she has recovered a lot in the past two weeks even after such a difficult childbirth. I've seen multiple women die because of so much blood loss, it's not easy."

"Meh! How's the boy?" He questions, biting his nails.

"It's a girl, sir. And she's in very good condition even after being a premature baby. Mr. Pariston took her home this week. Didn't he come to check up on his wife?" she asks him.

"Neh! I haven't seen him here since she gave birth, she's probably not worth his time." James shrugs.

"Men." The nurse sighs, walking out.

James looks down at Amber, she was unconsious for two days now after giving birth to her baby girl. She was pale, her eyes were puffy and everything about her appearance just reflected how much in pain she was.

He sits at the edge of her bed, looking closely at her, "Pretty but demonic." he mumbles, unconsiously.

Amber lets out a moan in pain, her eyes fluttering open as James' eyes grow wide as saucers.

"And the demon awakens." he announces.

Amber stares at the ceiling silently for a few minutes, completely detached from reality before the pain begins seeping into her system.

"My baby." Amber mumbles weakly, looking around.

"Died." James says casually, rubbing his nails together.

Amber feels her entire world collapse in front of her at his word. The drugs and unconsciousness of so many days were working on numbing her brain but she still could comprehend the news he just slapped in her face.

"Just kidding. Chill, little whore." James chuckles, patting her cheeks.

"Where's my daughter?" Amber grunts, looking around the room.

"Her dad took her. They're home."

"But. . .but I'm here. She's my baby." Amber whispers.

"There you go with the crying again. Ugh! The baby was stable so they took her home, you nearly died so you're here." James rolls his eyes.

"I want to see her! I want to see my daughter." Amber says, as she tries to get out of the bed.

"Amber, no. You're not stable enough." James immediately pushes her back into the bed.

"Please let me see my daughter. Just once." Amber cries.

"Shut the fuck up! You'll be discharged soon then you can go and stare at that kid all you want. Rest for now, you nearly died that day. I was happy though, it was Arles who was losing his shit." James glares at her with an accusing gaze.

"He will hurt my baby." Amber whispers under her breath, hugging herself.

"My body feels like it'll shatter any moment." Amber let's out a weak sigh.

"Die, Amber, die." James huffs.

"Arles?" She questions after a few minutes, earning a grunt from James.

"He was sitting here all this time and smelt like rotten eggs so the nurses threw him out to get showered." He shrugs.

Amber ignores him, knowing James would be the last person to treat her decently. She shifts a little, trying to reach for the jar of water on the stand nearby by fails badly. She falls back on the bed, weeping softly.