28

"Will he like it?" I whisper, clutching the tray as if my life depended on it

"Well, we wouldn't know until he eats it." William shrugs as he steals another cookie from the tray. 

"What if . . . what if he hates it?" I look up at him. 

"He won't." he assures me. 

"Go now," he says, gently pushing me towards the door. 

I gulp nervously, looking at William who was giving me thumbs up, before knocking on the door. 

"Go away. I don't want to talk right now, William!" His growl comes. 

I push open the mahogany door, stepping inside. James was sitting on the edge of the bed, his back on me, with a picture in his hand. 

"James." I say. 

He stands up startled, accidently throwing the picture on the bed in front of me. My gaze falls on it and something familiar sparks. It was me, with a boy; a child version of James. It's us! 

He hurriedly picks it up, shoving it in his pocket before he glares at me. 

"That was you?" I question with a smile. 

"Yes, me and uh-William." He stutters, glaring at me. 

"William was a girl before?" I chuckle. 

"Yes. He had surgery recently." he growls. 

"What do you want?" he snaps. 

"You." I whisper. 

"Excuse me?" 

"Uh, I baked some cookies. William said you like peanut cookies." I smile, placing the tray on his bed. 

"How funny it is that you love peanuts and I'm deathly allergic to them, and we're. . ." I trail off, looking at the scowl on his face. 

"Siblings." I whisper, as he closes his eyes, looking away. 

"I don't want your cookies. I don't want you. Stay away from me." he growls, sitting on the bed. 

"But I want to be near you, you're my brother. We're family, and family stays together." I whisper, sitting beside him much to his dismay. 

"My family are the Knights, they have saved me and loved me. You are nothing to me." he snaps.  

"James, I know you've been through a lot, but it wasn't as easy for me on the other side too." I say, as his head snaps towards me. 

"Wasn't easy? Being daddy's rich spoiled princess and marrying a wealthy, handsome man is struggle, Amber? Don't even start with the abuse bullshit, Arles might fall for it but not me." he screams, shifting away from me. 

"Pariston ran after you like a dog, he lost his biggest investor for you, he loved you when you treated him like shit. And now, you're doing the same to Arles. Making him run after you, beg for your love.." he hisses, his eyes held so much hate, I look away.