29

"Slowly. . . slowly. Did you just travel from the freaking Sahara Desert?" William says as Amber gulps down the entire glass of water. 

She wipes her lips with the back of her hand, stealing a glance at me. She hasn't spoken since she got up and we haven't pushed her to. She looks embarrassed of the stunt she pulled. Even though I don't blame her for it. I'd probably slit my wrists too if I had a family like that. 

"Arles." She mumbles. 

"Hhmm." I look up at her. 

"I'm sorry." She mumbles, her head bowed down. 

"What are you sorry for, Amber?" I question, standing up from the chair. 

"William get out." I say as he immediately walks out, shutting the door behind him. 

I slip into the bed beside her, cupping her face as a few tears roll on my hands. She looks up at me before throwing herself on me, placing her head on my chest, she starts sobbing bitterly. 

"It just gets so . . . heavy." she cries. 

"Time and time again, everyone I love has reminded me how perfect their life would've been if I simply didn't exist. Everyone holds me responsible for their losses. I-I thought James is my brother, he would love me but-but. . ." she trails off, sobbing as I rub her back. 

"You know, you don't always have to carry the heavy burden alone." I caress her cheek as her lips tremble, forming into a pout. 

"I don't want you to be like them too. You're the only one who loves me. I wish I can freeze time because I don't ever want you to change. Every day I fear that you'll become like others and hate me." She wails, hiding her face in my chest. 

"Oh, my butterfly. Why would you even think of that?" I sigh, kissing her forehead.

"It will happen eventually." she sniffs. 

"You will realize how much of a burden I am and how I keep ruining your relationship with your brothers and you will-" 

"Ssshh! Enough." I whisper, placing my finger against her lips. 

"I don't know how to assure you, darling. I also know no amount of assurance is going to tranquil you of these thoughts. But, if it gives you any peace, just know I'm fatally obsessed with you and getting rid of it is impossible in at least this life." I kiss her cheek, wiping away her tears as she looks at me with those innocent doe-like eyes. 

"Don't ever try that again, okay?" She nods, wiping away her tears. 

"I'm sorry," she sniffles reaching for the glass again. I fill it up for her, handing it to her as she gulps it down. 

"I don't know what got over me, I survived Pariston for two years without. . ." she trails off, sighing. 

"Did James ask you to do it?" 

She looks at me stunned for a moment, as if she didn't expect me to figure it out. I know James too well, he doesn't understand boundaries when he really gets into hating someone. I knew it was his brilliant idea that burned into Amber's mind. 

"Don't send him away," she pouts. 

"You still believe you can fix him? Amber, that guy is a dog's tail, come on!" I sigh. 

"No, I understand our relationship will never be as I thought and that's okay. I just want him to be close so I can see him every day, and know he is safe." 

 "Just for you." I sigh as a smile breaks on her face.

"Now, you have to take your pills and get some much needed sleep. Lemme see." I grab the pack of pills from the nightstand.