FOURTEEN

LEMON BOY

AFTER A WHILE, Will went to go back to sit beside Mike

Without even realising, Oliver already missed the boys presence even though they were only a seat away. The brunette was still embarrassed about the fact Will had caught him staring more than once in class.

So he didn't follow him to the seats and instead stayed in the boot, fiddling with a bit of yellow string he found.

"Holy shit, dude. Check it out." Argyle said making Oliver look out of the window.

"I didn't know they expanded into Nevada." Argyle chuckled.

"Watch out, dominos. Your dominoes are gonna fall."

They passed the surfer boy pizza sign so Oliver turned his head back to the yellow string in his hand.

"How far is Nina from Vegas?"

"From Vegas?" Mike asked Will.

"Um, as long as Suzie's coordinates are right, about another 90 miles. Why?"

"Well, once we save her, El, we should stop on the way back. El could make us, like, super rich and we'd never have to work again."

Oliver smiled to himself at the twos conversation. "We could just play D&D and Nintendo for the rest of our lives."

"Yeah. Totally." Oliver frowned at Mike's tone.

"We're gonna make it, Mike. She's gonna be okay."

"Yeah, I know, I... I know she is."

Oliver felt bad listening to the twos conversation but it wasn't like he could just stop listening considering the two were talking pretty loud.

"But... But what if after this is over, she..." he pauses "sh... she doesn't need me anymore?"

"No, o...of course she'll still need you. She'll always need you, Mike."

Oliver fiddled with the string, making knots and trying to undo them.

"I keep telling myself that, but I..."

he trailed off.

"I don't believe it. I mean, she's special. She was born special. Maybe I was one of the first people to realise that."

Oliver tried his hardest to stop listening, but he just couldn't.

"But the truth is, when I stumbled on her in the woods, she just needed someone. It's not fate. It's... Its not destiny. It's just simple dumb luck."

"And one day she's gonna realise I'm just some random nerd that got lucky that Superman landed on his doorstep. I mean, at least Lois Lane is an ace reporter for the Daily Planet, right? But..."