SIXTEEN

LEMON BOY

OLIVER SIGHED

OLIVER SIGHED. it was currently dark and yet they were stuck at a gas station. johnathon was trying the phone while the three boys (plus eleven) stood around him.

argyle was in the shop.

eleven walked away from the boys and oliver looked back to her, his eyebrows furrowing.

he decided to walk over to eleven.

"um... jane? eleven?" the girl turned towards him before turning back to the board. "what're you looking at?"

"i found a way." she whispered turning back to the boys (and now argyle) - oliver followed her.

"i have a way. a way to protect max. from here."

the five turned to her in confusion.

eleven rushed up to the van and began drawing on the steam that fogged the window.

"this is max. when one attacks, he'll be in her mind. but i can do that too." she explained.

"i went into mama's mind, into billy's. i can go into max's - she can carry me to vecna, i can piggyback."

she turned towards them.

"i can protect her. from one. fight him from here."

"mind fight. righteous." argyle interrupts.

"wait, so you actually think this can work?"

"a bathtub would help."

argyle nodded, "yeah. gotta be clean to enter the mind."

"what? no, no. it's a sensory deprivation tank. it helps her calm down and focus on her powers."

"wait, we... we just passed a motel." will says.

"yeah, but they won't have enough salt." mike said.

"why do we need salt?" oliver asked and before will could answer argyle was talking.

"well, how much salt are we talking here, my dudes?"

"well, it depends on the size of the tub, but a lot." johnathon informs.

"does 600 pounds suffice?"

"you know a place that has 600 pounds of salt?" mike asked.

argyle shrugs and moves so he's in front of eleven, he begins sizing her up making oliver raise an eyebrow.

"do you know what he's doing?" oliver whispered to will.

will shrugged, "when does anyone know what he's doing."

"yep. it'll work." argyle finalised.

"what will work?" eleven asked.

"i know of a magical place that has all you need my brave, little super-powered friend. that mind fight is on!"

"come on. ¡vámonos! let's go! pronto!"

argyle gets into the van, followed by the rest of them.

AS THE CAR DROVE oliver wondered if his mum even noticed he was gone.

and then when he came to a conclusion, he thought about his friends. about stacy, jake, angela.

he wondered if they cared he just up and left california or if they were just slagging him off.

something told oliver that it was the second one.

he stared out the window, an uneasy feeling settling over his heart.

it felt weird to oliver. he was never uneasy.

the van hit a few speed bumps before turning to a halt. oliver strained his neck to look out of the window.

"where are we?" oliver asked, an eyebrow raised.

argyle turned around to him and smiled.

"heaven, my dude."