Chapter 17

Rhiannon woke with the trembling of the bed

Rhiannon woke with the trembling of the bed. She looked over to see Namor sitting up as one of the Talokan women entered with food and clothing for them. 

"Níib óolal." Namor said. The woman turned around to avoid watching as he got up and dressed, not realizing Rhiannon was awake as well. "A'al ti' Attuma yéetel Namora reúnan ti' lajune' k ti' guerreros. Yaan k jóok'ol le superficie."

Thank you. Tell Attuma and Namora to gather ten of our best warriors. We are going to the surface.

The Talokan woman nodded and left his sleeping quarters. Rhiannon pretended to be asleep as Namor returned to her side of the bed. He leaned over her and kissed her cheek.

"Wake up, mi amor," he said, his voice low and deep in her ear.

Rhiannon blinked her eyes to appear as though she'd just been disturbed from her slumber. She rolled over onto her back to face him and he kissed her lips, before sitting on the edge of the bed. He took her hand in his as she lay, watching his beautiful face in the amber light. It was brighter than last night, but he lost none of his attractiveness. 

She hoped he thought the same of her, though she could feel her hair was in disarray and face was probably puffy with the activities of the night. They'd woken up twice more during the night to make love again and again. Namor seemed to never have enough of her and she was happy to cooperate. Though, now she wished she'd had a few more hours of sleep and something to soothe her sore muscles.

"I know why you tell the story the way you do."

She knew exactly what he was referring to. Most people knew her as the little girl, Doa, who committed the spiritual crime and allowed the spirits in. But the truth was, she was actually the mother. Her children died and she buried them. Because of the barter, her husband lived and married again. He forgot her while awake, but was plagued by memories of her in his dreams. He went on to be a great man in Kush and Egypt until he died. She never told it that way because...

"You're ashamed." Namor said. "You feel guilt that you live forever and you can't save those around you. You feel ashamed because you think you should have known better than to allow things so dark to enter and use you. It's better to tell the story as though you were a child. An innocent little girl who made an innocent mistake."

Rhiannon turned away from him, the tears falling from her eyes onto the pillow. She moved to her side, not wanting him to see her that way.

""I feel alot of things. Shame and guilt are just two of them."

"I do not judge you, mi amor." He reached and wiped the tears from her cheek. Her back faced him, but he still sat on the edge of the bed. His body twisted to look at her. "I want to help you."

"How?"

"Tell me the name of the third Old Spirit?"

"Namor-"