Chapter 32

All she saw was darkness

All she saw was darkness. Rhiannon couldn't feel her body anymore, though she knew she hadn't left it. She could hear the voices of Namor and Shuri. She could sense Thor as well... or the Old Spirits could sense him anyway. They never forgot the taste of his long life when they fed on him many years ago.

She could feel herself pushed around by the floating Old Spirits that rushed like wind in the darkness inside of her. They thumped into her and banged her against one another, cackling at their victory.

"You're ours," they chanted. "Ours, forever."

"What to do first!" Destruction asked the others.

"Kill her friends. They may try to stop us." Emptiness ordered.

"How?" Death laughed. "We are now one. None of them can stop us."

"Yes," Emptiness said. "They can. Did you not see what the princess carried? Besides, the Creators have surely seen what we've done. They are on their way. I can feel them burning my skin as they grow near."

"Then, we kill her friends and flee."

"Yes. We kill her friends." Destruction agreed. "And flee."

***

They watched as Rhiannon's body hovered in the night sky. A sinister green glow emitted from her and she whispered words in a language no one knew.

"It's a curse," Okoye spoke low. 

"That's ridiculous," Shuri responded. Dr. Strange lowered beside them.

"Not necessarily. Okoye's right. She's speaking words from a language that predates man. I can make out some of the words only because, well, we use them."

"I've never heard you utter spells before, wizard." Thor said.

"No. We don't speak them. We conjure them." Strange banged his fists together and moved his fingers into different symbols until they produced circular and geometric shapes in gold. "Like this. Except she's verbalizing something similar to what you see here."

They looked at him, fear on their faces

They looked at him, fear on their faces. On everyone's face except Thor. He gripped Stormbreaker harder and readied himself for attack.

"Thor," Strange said calmly. "Don't."