Chapter 29

She continued to move through the void toward a bright light

She continued to move through the void toward a bright light. She didn't feel like she was falling anymore. She felt as though she were rising, like something grabbed hold of her and pulled her up and out of the darkness. Rhiannon could feel her voice return to her and she called out for help. But the Old Spirits answered her instead.

"You haven't had a sacrifice strong enough to keep us quiet. Our sibling waits for you."

She was pulled out of the void and into the evening sky of the desert. Then, she was dropped onto the hot sand that started to cool with the coming night. Her head ached and her body was sore from the drop. She lay on the sand a moment, exhausted from the day's events.

"Just sleep," the Old Spirits said inside of her. "Rest well. You will need your energy for tonight."

"No," she said. But she could already feel the drowsiness overcome her. Her body grew weak and she curled into the fetal position and her eyelids fluttered closed.

"Don't worry," the Old Spirits said. "You have to be awake when we start. Rest now and we'll wake you when it's time."

She wanted to disobey them, but they'd taken control and she was forced to obey. So, she let go and drifted off to sleep just as the sun set.

"Namor..." she said, just before she lost conciousness. "Find me."

**********

Namor continued forward, trailed by Thor and Strange

Namor continued forward, trailed by Thor and Strange. He needed occasional rests from flight, so he'd land for a time before launching himself in the air again. When he landed, Thor and Strange did as well, but remained close by as he walked in the desert.

"We can help you!" Strange yelled, irritated with their progress. "I can conjure water and help you rehydrate. I know you need it."

Namor did his best to ignore them until he couldn't. He knew Rhiannon was close by. He also knew he'd need his full strength to help her. But he wasn't a god who accepted handouts.

"Leave," he said.

"Can't do that," Strange responded. "Just let us help!"

"And then what?" Namor turned around abruptly. The anger filled him, combined with weary and desperation. "You take her away? I never see her again because you want to protect her?"