Chapter 22

Namor ducked under the surface of the small lake Rhiannon created for him

Namor ducked under the surface of the small lake Rhiannon created for him. He and his warriors grew weak in the sun and he asked her to make water for them. She parted the sands and broke the earth beneath and found an aquifer. Water shot up into the air and she created a pool for it to gather for Namor and his people.

The act had taken alot of energy and the emotional toil of reliving her saddest memories along with the Saharan heat had drained her.

Namor wanted to know who she'd given her heart to. She knew, that though Loki was dead, Namor would still be hurt. And he would probably pick up on the fact that Thor had a little piece of her heart as well at one time.

She watched Namor walk out of the water toward her and contemplated how much she should tell him of her past loves. Loki was no longer a threat to him, but he would feel a certain way about Thor even though she'd moved on from him.

They'd moved on from each other because he had Jane and she hadn't seen him in years. She honestly wasn't even sure he was still alive since Thanos destroyed so many. The Wakandans took extra care to hide her away from Thanos since she could have done what the infinity stones did with one command. And though she wanted to help fight, they were adamant she stay quiet and secret about who and what she was.

 And though she wanted to help fight, they were adamant she stay quiet and secret about who and what she was

As Namor approached, the water dripped from his brown skin that glistened in the bright sun. She knew he'd have to go back in again soon, but she could tell something troubled him. The conversation they started, but didn't finish.

Does your heart belong to someone else?

She decided she would tell him the truth.

"Mi amor," he sounded refreshed. "This was perfect. And I know, to do this, was not easy. I and my people, thank you."

He sat on the sand next to her. They'd set up a large canopy to cover them from the noon day sun. They would continue at sunset when the desert was cooler.

She wanted to lie down and take a nap, but she knew he wanted to talk. She cursed herself for even bringing it up.

"You're welcome." She responded. "And you're right. It wasn't easy. I'm exhausted."

"Then, rest." He gestured toward his lap and she understood. She stretched her body out and rested her head on him. Namor smelled of the sea even this far into the desert and she smiled. The water on his skin soaked into her hair and shirt as she lay her head on his thighs.

He stroked her hair and they both watched his warriors as they swam in the lake.

"Who is he?" Namor asked. She closed her eyes and exhaled loudly. It was time to fess up.

"Was. His name was Loki," she began. "He was Asgardian... or at least he was raised there.  I was taken there for protection until his father used me for his own gain. Loki risked his life to save me. He and his brother, Thor."

"And your love for him? Does it still exist?"

She hesitated to answer. "Yes."

He was quiet.

"But he's dead," she continued. "So my love for him is... different now. The same way you'd love someone you mourn. But I won't lie. I do still love him."

"Hmm..." Namor was thinking. "I understand. And I'm sorry to have made you speak on something so painful. It was selfish. But I can't imagine sharing your heart with another. I thought I was at risk of losing you."

She wondered if she would stay with Namor if Loki had survived. He was known to fake his death, though she was fairly certain he was killed by Thanos. But she often found herself wondering what she would do if he reappeared. If he actually wasn't dead and had been searching for her all these years.

Rhiannon dismissed the thought.

"I have to tell you all of it."

He stopped stroking her hair, frozen for what was to come next.

"Before I chose Loki, I had a brief love affair with his brother. Thor is a god and he's a fierce protector of those he loves. In the end, Loki lived up to his reputation and... betrayed me. Thor was the one who tucked me away in Wakanda."

"Your love betrayed you? How?"

"He used me. He said he'd never do it and... he did. For a throne. What hurt me most was that he seemed not to care that he'd broken my heart with his covetousness. And so, we didn't part on good terms. But even with all that, I still loved him." She confessed.

Namor listened intently before asking, "And if his brother were to return now, how would you feel?"

"Thor?" she hadn't really thought about it. She didn't know how much of her old feelings would return. She didn't dwell on those things because Thor had Jane. "I... don't know. I mean, I've fallen in love with you. A small part of me still loves him."

Namor said nothing. He touched her face.

"Are you angry?" she asked.

"No, mi amor," he replied. "I'm determined. It means I have to fight harder to win your whole heart."

"Namor..."

"Please, do not tell me it is not possible. You'll just make me work harder to prove to you that it is."