Chapter 19

Venezuela

Venezuela... 50 years ago...

Blood chilling screams came from the center of town. From a distance, Thor could see people floating into the air, only to drop quickly.

There was a whisper on the wind. It was violent and screeched words no human could interpret.

"What is that?" Thor asked.

Loki stood nearby, Lady Sif and the Warriors Three flanking them both. "That is Death and Destruction unleashed."

"Father talked about her. Everyone did. But I didn't think she was real."

"Oh, she's real. And we have to stop her or she will destroy this planet. The spirits inside of her are calling for their sibling. If the third Old Spirit reunites with them, this Earth...this galaxy is done."

"How do we stop her?"

"We have to fight magic with magic. Which means, you're lucky to have me, brother." Loki bragged. "I'll go in and subdue her. You can come in when its quiet and help me carry her out."

Loki rushed toward the screaming town.

"Loki, wait!" Thor called, but he was too far ahead. Or, and Thor wouldn't put it past him, Loki ignored him.

"He's going to die." Lady Sif said, matter-of-factly. "But I'm happy to wait for that to happen before we rush in."

"No," Thor ordered. "We go in now."

They followed Loki into the town, weapons raised. When they arrived, there was no one to fight. Everyone either screamed for their lives or were up in the air, waiting for the deadly fall. The warriors immediately went to work rushing people to safety beyond the town.

Lady Sif followed Thor who suddenly stopped running and looked up to see flashes of neon green bolts shooting toward a cloud of black smoke.

Loki attacked the floating smoke cloud from all sides, but his green blasts were merely absorbed into the black smoke. He continued to strike until a violent burst of energy exploded from the black cloud and struck Loki in the chest. He was flung from the sky and slammed into the ground. Thor rushed over to him, just as he sat up.

"Should we still be glad that you are here?" Lady Sif asked sarcastically. Loki rolled his eyes.

"I'll gladly follow whatever plan you have, Sif." Loki replied, rising to his feet. "She's being controlled, brother. Remember the stories? We have to find the one who triggered her."

"Right. Sif, look around. See if you can find someone who might be making her do this."

"Got it," Sif rushed off into the crowd of screaming people who ran about.

"Loki, in the stories father used to tell, you could stop her by putting her to sleep

"Loki, in the stories father used to tell, you could stop her by putting her to sleep. Can you knock her out with a spell?"

"I've tried. I don't think its that simple."

"Maybe she needs to be distracted first."

Loki understood what Thor suggested. "Be careful, brother. She's deadly. Especially to you."

Thor used Mjolnir to launch himself into the air while Loki conjured  a green cloud of dust around himself. He chanted a few words, making the dust glow brighter.

In the distance, Lady Sif yelled. "Found him!"

She ran the man through with her sword and his body fell to the ground. Loki took this as a sign and focused up where Thor and the black cloud engaged in a brief battle. Thor used his hammer to fling himself at the cloud which bounced him off roughly. He charged forward again, this time more aggressively.

"Anytime now, brother!" Thor yelled down.

Loki continued conjuring until the green dust was a tornado around him. He looked up again and this time, the black cloud disappeared. It revealed a woman with a thick, black braid going down the center of her head. She had black spiral designs all over her skin. She waved her hand in a beckoning motion and Thor was pulled to her by an invisible force.

"Sacrifice." She said, the word was spoken in English, Asgardian, and Spanish. Audible and translatable for all to hear.

Blue beams of light were pulled from Thor and fed into her.

"Loki!" Thor screamed, in pain.

"Hold your breath!" Loki yelled back. Then, he threw his hands up, sending the thick, green tornado cloud flying into the air. It surrounded the woman and filled her nostrils, mouth and eyes. She lowered her hand and Thor was released.

Her eyelids drooped until eventually she closed her eyes and her body went limp

Her eyelids drooped until eventually she closed her eyes and her body went limp. She fell from the sky, but before she hit the ground, Thor propelled himself using Mjolnir and caught her midair.

He slammed into the ground, landing on his feet and cracking the surface of the earth. But she was safe.

The townspeople stopped screaming and watched the Asgardian heroes as they gathered in the center of town to look at the Dark Soul.

"I wasn't expecting her to be so..." Fandral, one of the Warriors Three, searched for a word.

"Beautiful." Loki finished.

"What do we do with her?" Sif asked.

"We have to take her to Asgard. Odin's orders." Loki answered.

"What?" Thor asked.

"Father wants her there."

"No."

"Thor, what choice do we have? Father says bring her back to Asgard, we bring her back."

"You and I both know why he wants her. Why do you think he knows those stories, Loki? The rumors we hear. The whispers around Asgard. He had her before and used her to conquer galaxies before Mother helped her escape.  Not again. We can't bring her back to Asgard. We can't let him have yet another weapon. Not one so...fragile."

"Mother would be disappointed." Loki sighed. "What do you propose we do? If we don't take her back, he will come find her himself. Who knows what he'll do then? To her and to us."

"This is wrong."

"I do not disagree. But what Odin wants, Odin gets." Loki looked at her lovely face. "If, when we get home, we feel her life is in danger, I promise I will help you smuggle her out to safety. For now, we have to take her to Asgard."